Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone between two countries

iPhone between two countries
cenutrio
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2008, 06:18 PM

Hi guys, a friend just asked me this question.

He lives between US and Spain. He is got a ATT plan back in the States, and a Telefonica plan in Spain.

It is viable to have just one iPhone? If he buys in the US, will he need to hack it anytime he is in Spain to work with the Telefonica provider? and vice-versa when he is back in the States?

How troublesome such process would be? what about lost of data, he is a Mac user as most of us.

Opinions are very welcomed.

Cheers

C
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2008, 08:04 PM

Same as ever -- it will work fine if he unlocks the phone. It's a one-time thing*, not every time he travels.
As I understand it, unlocking is very very simple and fairly safe these days. Of course, the whole thing could go kablooie at any moment, but it probably will be fine.

* well, maybe one-time-per-firmware-upgrade.

cenutrio  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2008, 08:42 PM

Yes, he unlocks the phone and moves to Spain.

Does he have to change provider cards?

Does he need to unlock-lock anytime he moves?

Or just unlocking will make the iPhone recognize either card, wherever the place. Whay I mean is, is this a 1 step only, forever?
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

Cold Warrior
Jun 9, 2008, 08:58 PM

If he moves to Spain, he should get a local SIM card. Otherwise AT&T's international roaming rates will be horrible.

He won't need to unlock again. However, he shouldn't blindly upgrade software or hardware, as those could potentially cause problems (including bricking the phone).

Visnaut
Senior User
Jun 9, 2008, 09:33 PM

Guys, don't get ahead of yourselves. Although jailbreaking and unlocking the current iPhone is easy (and that took a while to get to), there is no telling how easy it will be with the 3G iPhone. Several factors at play here:
  • It is very likely that Apple has improved the security of the device, given that the hacking community has poked a lot of holes in the existing one in trying to find an unlock.
  • The baseband will be different. Even if it is an S-GOLD3 (the successor to the current one) there's no telling how similar it will be to exploit.
  • Purchasing an iPhone for the sole intent of trying to unlock it will be much harder now, since you must activate in-store
  • Not only that, but the biggest motivation behind the unlocking efforts, international availability, will be moot in short order through carrier deals.

So while it's inevitable that there will be an unlock for the 3G iPhone, the question of when it will be available is quite the wildcard at this point.

Trygve
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2008, 10:43 AM

It will not be moot.

I will need to buy three phones at least (I live between the UAE, Czech Republic and USA)... and since you can't swap SIMs, it doesn't work. I have probably a dozen SIMs for my current phone (UAE, Czech, USA... plus Tunisia, Australia, Thai, Uganda and others).

Over here NOBODY has or sells locked phones.

Instead of buying 3 iPhones, I will buy zero iPhones.

Forum Links
Forum Rules