Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Back To My Mac Problems

Back To My Mac Problems
Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2008, 05:28 PM

I would be grateful for any help in getting Back To My Mac working. I have a Belkin ADSL router to connect to the outside world (Model no. F5D7632), plugged into my Airport Extreme (latest 802.11 n version). The airport insists on being in Bridge mode or will not work properly. This means I have to use the NAT and UPnP offered by the Belkin router. This is an older model and works fine for internet connection but I can't get the two set up properly so BTMM will work.

Do I need to somehow switch the Belkin router so that it only connects to the ISP and allows the AIrport Extreme to do all the DHCP and NAT work?

I have wasted hours over this and only succeeded in messing up my settings and getting disconnected from the internet.

Thanks.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 17, 2008, 05:57 PM

NAT, I can see, but UPnP is always a problem. Why do you "have to use" UPnP? Can't you just configure the router directly and leave the AEBS in bridge mode?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Cold Warrior
Jun 17, 2008, 08:01 PM

Yeah, I'd let the extreme do the routing. Belkin should have some documentation online about how to get into their routers to set it to bridge mode. Is it a router with a built-in DSL modem, or do you have a DSL modem someplace else?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2008, 12:40 AM

Can someone tell me what B2MM can do that the free LogMeIn CAN'T DO ?

I see absolutely no need for B2MM, and LogMeIn works great w/o any firewall issues.

-t

Jonesy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 18, 2008, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
NAT, I can see, but UPnP is always a problem. Why do you "have to use" UPnP? Can't you just configure the router directly and leave the AEBS in bridge mode?
The only reason I had switched UPnP on was because this was suggested by Apple. It has made no difference to my ability to connect to BTMM. I can change the router configuration but I don't know how to configure it so that my desktop is seen by BTMM. At the moment the ADSL router runs with the correct settings to connect me to my ISP. It has a firewall which I have tried switching off, but no difference. I have tried opening the specific ports to my desktop for BTMM (according to the Apple KB article). Leaving the AEBS in Bridge mode just does not seem to work.

Jonesy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 18, 2008, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Yeah, I'd let the extreme do the routing. Belkin should have some documentation online about how to get into their routers to set it to bridge mode. Is it a router with a built-in DSL modem, or do you have a DSL modem someplace else?
It is a router with built in ADSL (I am in the UK).

Can I clarify how to do this. I think this is where my problem is. If I get my ADSL router to connect to my ISP, switch off DHCP and NAT there and have my AEBS running DHCP and NAT you think this should work?

My router is an older model and the documentation is not clear about how to switch off NAT. I am sure there must be a way. The last time I tried I had a double NAT error!

If only Apple put the ADSL connection into an AEBS it would be so simple.

Thanks for your help.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 18, 2008, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
It is a router with built in ADSL (I am in the UK).

Can I clarify how to do this. I think this is where my problem is. If I get my ADSL router to connect to my ISP, switch off DHCP and NAT there and have my AEBS running DHCP and NAT you think this should work?

My router is an older model and the documentation is not clear about how to switch off NAT. I am sure there must be a way. The last time I tried I had a double NAT error!

If only Apple put the ADSL connection into an AEBS it would be so simple.

Thanks for your help.
Turning off DHCP and NAT on the ADSL router and connecting only the AEBS to it, then connecting everything else through the AEBS should work for you. This is one of the times when a modem/router turns into a hassle. Here in the States, you generally get a "modem" from your ISP, and then connect whatever else to it. But just about all of these "modems" are also routers; they just have the router functions turned off. By disabling DHCP and NAT, that's what you'd be doing to your ADSL router.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules