Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anyone's Macbook Pro's Logicboard has died?

Anyone's Macbook Pro's Logicboard has died?
abeato6
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2008, 10:02 PM

The logicboard in my macbook pro has died twice, and I have absolutely no idea why it is happening, I treat it well and I dont drop it, basically just internet, gaming, multimedia.. :S

how about you?
MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo - 2GB RAM - 120GB HDD - Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT 128MB
WD My Book Premium Edition 500GB
iPod 5G 30GB
80GB PS3

Cold Warrior
Jun 19, 2008, 10:05 PM

Not mine, purchased in October 2006. I'd get applecare since it seems prone to problems.

abeato6  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2008, 10:07 PM

I got applecare, because the superdrive has died twice, and so has the logicboard.. geez I love Mac but I didn't expect this :/
MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo - 2GB RAM - 120GB HDD - Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT 128MB
iPod 5G 30GB
80GB PS3

Cold Warrior
Jun 19, 2008, 10:08 PM

Make the case to apple that this MBP is a lemon. Two superdrive failures, two logic board failures. Ask for a replacement of equal or greater capability.

abeato6  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2008, 10:11 PM

do I just go to the store and complain? has it ever been done?.. Do you think it might work?
iPod 5G 30GB
80GB PS3

Cold Warrior
Jun 19, 2008, 10:16 PM

Yes, apple replaces lemons often enough that people post back here with updates or mention it in the course of conversation. I wouldn't go to a store; I'd call the applecare number. It's their prerogative to continue repairing, but if you're nice but persistent, hopefully they're offer to replace it instead of continuing to repair.

This makes a fourth repair, which will probably put it over the top in terms of lost profit on the Mac, and there's no guarantee that it won't continue to have failures. A replacement model may live out the rest of its warranty life with no problems -- it makes good business sense.

abeato6  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2008, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Yes, apple replaces lemons often enough that people post back here with updates or mention it in the course of conversation. I wouldn't go to a store; I'd call the applecare number. It's their prerogative to continue repairing, but if you're nice but persistent, hopefully they're offer to replace it instead of continuing to repair.

This makes a fourth repair, which will probably put it over the top in terms of lost profit on the Mac, and there's no guarantee that it won't continue to have failures. A replacement model may live out the rest of its warranty life with no problems -- it makes good business sense.
Thanks ColdWarrior for being so helpful, you've actually put me into serious thinking, as much as I am devoted to Mac, I can't think of this as something 'normal'.

I actually ordered applecare and it should be arriving any time soon, as soon as it's here I'll call and tell them of my situation. Always thankful
iPod 5G 30GB
80GB PS3

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 20, 2008, 09:54 PM

As Cold said, and I'd like to re-iterate.

Be nice. Remember that the person you're talking to isn't PERSONALLY the one responsible for your laptop breaking, so be nice. Trust me. Be nice and tell them that you ARE disappointed in your Apple experience so far, and want it to be made right. Trust me most apple reps, even if you're in a hard situation, they'll bend over to help you if you just maintain your calm and be nice. If they don't give you the answer you want right away, be polite but firm, and work your way up the chain, always remembering to stay cool. Do that and I'm sure you'll have no problem getting it swapped. See the thing is is that Apple more so than most other companies, worries about it's public image, and they will always go the length necessary to make sure the customer is satisfied.

That's why you see so many people on here, myself included, who've had problems, yet we stand by apple because they stand by us. Every once in a while you'll get a jerk on the phones, hit happens in every company, just be polite, remember that ALL calls are monitored AND recorded. Phone reps get graded on their phone calls all the time in every call center, so your phone call WILL be heard by someone else who is listening to the recording a day later. All reps know this and some like it or love it... depending on how they like their job see....

But enough said. Just keep your cool and you'll be fine. Remember that Apple wants you to have the best possible "Apple Experience" so that you go out and proselytize for them and buy more products.
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jun 20, 2008, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by bishopazrael View Post

Be nice. Remember that the person you're talking to isn't PERSONALLY the one responsible for your laptop breaking, so be nice. Trust me. Be nice and tell them that you ARE disappointed in your Apple experience so far, and want it to be made right. Trust me most apple reps, even if you're in a hard situation, they'll bend over to help you if you just maintain your calm and be nice. If they don't give you the answer you want right away, be polite but firm, and work your way up the chain, always remembering to stay cool. Do that and I'm sure you'll have no problem getting it swapped. See the thing is is that Apple more so than most other companies, worries about it's public image, and they will always go the length necessary to make sure the customer is satisfied.

That's why you see so many people on here, myself included, who've had problems, yet we stand by apple because they stand by us. Every once in a while you'll get a jerk on the phones, hit happens in every company, just be polite, remember that ALL calls are monitored AND recorded. Phone reps get graded on their phone calls all the time in every call center, so your phone call WILL be heard by someone else who is listening to the recording a day later. All reps know this and some like it or love it... depending on how they like their job see....

But enough said. Just keep your cool and you'll be fine. Remember that Apple wants you to have the best possible "Apple Experience" so that you go out and proselytize for them and buy more products.
I couldn't agree more! As an Apple employee I learned that the company has no problem bending over backward for it's customers. We really want to have a good relationship with all of our customers and we have no problem giving out a new computer in replacement if there really is no other option. It's called a "Surprise and Delight."

I'm not saying Apple will do that all the time, but if the situation is right then it may happen to you. I couldn't agree more to just keep your calm and whoever is helping you will be more than happy to get to the bottom of the problem with you. I know that's atleast how I feel towards my customers. I will help them no matter what, but wouldn't you care more and want to help more if the customer is keeping their calm?

-------------

On another note, I'm pretty sure my Macbook's logic board is slowly biting the dust. I'm definitely backing up every night to make sure.

abeato6  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 22, 2008, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by bishopazrael View Post

Well, thanks a lot for your help. I've learned that in life everything is easier when you are nice, so I'll keep it nice with the representative. What you said is all true, I came to Mac hoping that they'd be the best and I'm not thinking otherwise YET. I'll say the same to the representative and who knows? Maybe I'll get lucky .

Still with all of this happening, I love the experience I've had with my mac and I have to admit that life has been a lot easier since the day I bought it.

As soon as I have my AppleCare delivered I'll call, try my luck. I'll post back here to inform of what happened.

Thanks to all of you!
iPod 5G 30GB
80GB PS3

ClarkGriswold
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2008, 09:51 PM

My logic board died six months ago, as a result of installing 2GB of memory myself. I couldn't afford to even take it in to have them look at it, worrying that the repairs would be too expensive, but I finally took it in this past week. They fixed it for free, and I have a warranty on the repairs until the end of September.

I guess my question is; should I try re-installing my third party memory myself? I know my MacBook is predisposed to logic board issues, and I'm wondering if my repair warranty would cover another logic board if it happens again. I've read about this happening a lot and I'm worried that I'll never be able to use my memory. I can't afford the Apple brand memory so my options are slim.

Cold Warrior
Jun 29, 2008, 09:55 PM

Sounds like you damaged your logic board last time you tried. This time, I'd find a computer-delicate friend who has done laptop RAM drop-ins before.

ClarkGriswold
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2008, 09:58 PM

Ya, I pushed them in pretty hard, because that's what I thought I was supposed to do. Will Apple replace the logic board again with that warranty though? (just in case I screw it up again)

Cold Warrior
Jun 29, 2008, 10:02 PM

Dunno. If they don't get suspicious, then they'll think it's just another failure. However, if I'm Apple, I see another logic board failure and I spend a few minutes investigating. I take a look at the logic board and find some micro-fractures or other damage. A $100 RAM DIY RAM upgrade turns into a $500 repair due to user-inflicted damage.

Just my two cents. Maybe someone else will chime in.

ClarkGriswold
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2008, 10:09 PM

ok. So really, pushing in too hard is generally the cause of logic board failure? If I'm more delicate next time it shouldn't be a problem?

Before they fixed it they quoted me $1100 so I'm not taking this lightly, but I do know that plenty of people install ram themselves with no problem and I want to be one of those people.

Cold Warrior
Jun 29, 2008, 10:18 PM

Motherboards can fail for different reasons. The way I read your post, it sounds like you know it caused your board to fail.

At the time, did you try reinstalling the factory RAM to see if it was just bad third-party RAM?

ClarkGriswold
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2008, 10:24 PM

Well, I'm not sure that's what caused it, and the Mac Genius couldn't tell me either, it's just a hunch.

I tried switching RAM two or three times, between the factory and third-party. While on the phone with Apple, they told me to reinstall factory RAM, which I did. I think they had me reset the PRAM, (I'm not entirely certain) and my MacBook did turn back on. A couple weeks later though, my charger fried, literally, and I couldn't afford another one for a couple of months, so I didn't know that my computer had stopped working AGAIN.

I finally got a new charger, exchanged what I thought was defective RAM for some new RAM, and the computer died for good.

Cold Warrior
Jun 29, 2008, 10:26 PM

Well that is significantly different from
my logic board died six months ago, as a result of installing 2GB of memory myself.

ClarkGriswold
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2008, 10:34 PM

Yes, sorry. I forget sometimes that those details might help. My first post was the gist of the problem. I mean, that is basically what happened.

mkerr64
Senior User
Jul 1, 2008, 05:59 PM

once only, when i accidently poured soup over it.
R.I.P Steve Jobs

Forum Links
Forum Rules