Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anyone build an OSX86 machine?

Anyone build an OSX86 machine?
pman68
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2008, 11:08 PM

Not sure if this is the right forum or not. I've been thinking about upgrading my 2 year-old XP pc rig to Leopard. I did purchase Leopard for my macbook, so I don't feel so bad trying it on my pc.

Anyone try this?

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2008, 12:27 AM

Upgrade from XP to Leopard?

Where's your MacBook?

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2008, 12:59 AM

I thought I saw something about this on usenet. It was Leopard for AMD processor I thought.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jun 24, 2008, 01:41 AM

Let's leave aside the question of legality (*) for the sake of argument ...

Yes, it works (**). If you're a bit of a nerd and don't mind mucking around with the command line, you'll be perfectly fine. Moreover, if you have a machine that works with one of the available (and to my knowledge - perfectly legal, IANAL) EFI emulators, you can even install Leopard directly from the retail disc and apply software updates without having to wait for "customized" versions.

Assuming doing so in your geographic location is "legal", the equivalent of ~$1500 can buy you a machine that'll blow the pants off any iMac (***) and in some cases even give a Mac Pro a run for its money.

All that being said ... Google is your friend, don't pirate OS X and don't be doing anything illegal!!

(* - AFAIK, Apple allows you to install the OS on a single piece of Apple hardware, not "any computer" you own. But depending on where you live, so-called "shrink wrap license agreements" may not be enforceable.)
(** - Depending on your hardware it can also turn out to be a complete nightmare with half of your machine - e.g., sound, networking, video card, etc. - not working properly)
(** - i.e., quad core cpu, 8GB RAM, nVidia 8800gt, terabyte HD, etc., etc.)
( Last edited by effgee; Jun 24, 2008 at 01:49 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules