Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Any Way To Use an Apple Infrared Remote for PowerPoint Presentations?

Any Way To Use an Apple Infrared Remote for PowerPoint Presentations?
ghporter
Administrator
Jul 28, 2008, 06:32 PM

It would be exceptionally cool if I could do this! I have already gotten my MBP configured to run the projector with my external video port (PowerPoint does some really great things with dual monitors!), but not being stuck behind the lectern would be fantastic.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2008, 09:13 PM

I was under the impression that it Just Works™ with PowerPoint 2008. Not sure about 2004 though...

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Jul 28, 2008, 10:16 PM

Yeah, I have 2004... The remote will get Front Row running, and change my volume, but it won't (apparently) work with PowerPoint. I'll poke around in PowerPoint's menus for anything that might be there...

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 28, 2008, 10:36 PM

benz
Forum Regular
Jul 28, 2008, 11:49 PM

my setup is by using apple wireless mouse and another software " steer mouse" to do presentation in remote mode, i like the "steer mouse" and it's cool that the buttons, scroll ball and all side buttons in apple wirless mouse can be config. in any form in any software used. mine is to set it in "keynote" and " osirix" that i don't need to use the keyboard at all

benz

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Jul 29, 2008, 10:05 AM

Well it appears that there's something wrong with my MBP's PowerPoint installation. Microsoft says it's supposed to work (yes, in Office 2004), and it DOES work with the trial of iWork (but Keynote won't show my presentation properly and I'm NOT going to redo the whole thing for this!). So I'm planning on reinstalling PowerPoint to see if that helps...

But realistically, since I'm planning on using those cool "split display" features in giving my presentation (TOMORROW!), being behind the MBP to be able to read my notes and stuff is really a better plan anyway. I just wish I knew why it wasn't working...

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Jul 30, 2008, 05:56 PM

I didn't bother with reinstalling PowerPoint because I couldn't get it to work on my iMac either. But the presentation turned out to be fine anyway, since we got bumped into using a different, much more "intimate" room so I was right next to the MBP anyway. It turns out that all six of us presenting used my MBP for their presentations and they all seemed to really like it.

Still wish I knew why something that's supposed to work doesn't...

Forum Links
Forum Rules