Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What would you do?

What would you do?
kmarketing
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 3, 2008, 11:00 AM

Hi,

Here's the dilemma...

I can get a white macbook - 2.16ghz, 2gb memory, 320gb hard drive, Superdrive, and some boxed software - iwork 08, leopard - for $850. I will definitely sell the boxed software as I have no need for them.

I also have 4gb of memory lying around that I can install in the macbook.

I have my macbook pro, and mac mini in my sig, and am considering selling my mbp. It's been great and all, but I know that new machines are in the near future, and I would like to get the most money out of a sale now, since I would probably upgrade to a newly designed macbook or macbook pro.

Here are my options:
1. Keep the mbp as is, swap the mac mini and macbook hard drives (120gb-320gb), sell the macbook and the software separately (with or without the memory).
2 Swap the mini and mbp hard drive (120gb-250gb) and sell the mbp. I would just install the 4gb memory into the macbook and keep it as is.

So what would you do, keep the mbp or macbook? Either way, I will be keeping the hard drive. I just want to sell the computer that will give me the most return now, as well as give me a decent return when the new line laptops come out.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance for your time and help!
I Love This Forum!
Macbook Pro 2ghz 2gb/250gb/256 Video/wireless n
Mac Mini C2D 2ghz/4gb/SD

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2008, 01:55 PM

I wouldn't bother with buying the MacBook and selling one of the laptops; just sell your MBP when the new laptops are released.
If you want to upgrade the hard drive in the mini, bare drives are cheap; Hitachi's 320GB is $90 after $30 MIR.

kmarketing  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 3, 2008, 06:36 PM

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

Actually I figure that I can make some cash out of the deal, and still end up with the hard drive for the mini. That's what the plan is.

I just want to keep the laptop that makes the most sense money wise now and when the new ones roll out.

Let me know what you think,
Thanks!
I Love This Forum!
Macbook Pro 2ghz 2gb/250gb/256 Video/wireless n
Mac Mini C2D 2ghz/4gb/SD

Forum Links
Forum Rules