Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Any way to do a hard power-off on the iPhone?

Any way to do a hard power-off on the iPhone?
njuyhb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2008, 09:04 AM

Like the subject says - any way to force the iphone to turn off, even when it doesn't want to? I had an odd situation the other day, when the phone got stuck in "phone" mode - everything within phone mode seemed to work fine, but the home button would not take me back to the home screen, and holding down the power button for any length of time would not bring up the "slide to power off" screen. I eventually put it away and checked it an hour or so later and it was fine, but if I had to go on a plane, that would not be an option. On any other phone, I would just take out the battery. How do you force a power-off on the iPhone?

Nexus5
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2008, 09:10 AM

"To reset iPhone, press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time for at least 10 seconds. During this time, a red "power off" slider may appear and the screen may go black, but do not release Sleep/Wake and Home buttons until the Apple logo appears."

njuyhb  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2008, 09:18 AM

Great, thanks.

Never mind, found it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules