Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Best Way to Synch Mail, Address Book and Calendar?

Best Way to Synch Mail, Address Book and Calendar?
shmoolie
Aug 13, 2008, 11:57 PM

I have a Macbook Pro that I use for my day to day work and a MacBook Air that I only use when I travel. I want to find an elegant way to synch my Apple Mail, Apple Address Book, and iCal data from the Pro to the Air and then back again. I'd also like it to be expandable for when I get an iPhone later this year.

Synching other types of data is not really important but if it can also be done seamlessly then I'm fine with that too.

Some info: Both laptops run Leopard and I'm using a POP3 email account from my cable company and I'd prefer to keep this account as my primary. I have a wireless home router.

I was thinking about signing up for a MobileMe account and using this. Would this be the best solution?

Thanks.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2008, 06:18 AM

That's what MobileMe is for.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2008, 10:20 PM

MobileMe will sync your email settings and the calendar/address book contents. Use IMAP for mail to have your mail contents synced everywhere.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2008, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
That's what MobileMe is for.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2008, 11:10 PM

MobileMe keeps my MBP at home, my MBP at work and my iPhone in perfect harmony. Well worth the money.
And as already mentioned, use IMAP for mail, not POP. If your provider doesn't offer IMAP open a gmail account, get that account to check your old POP account and then enable IMAP on the gmail account.

shmoolie  (op)
Aug 14, 2008, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
MobileMe keeps my MBP at home, my MBP at work and my iPhone in perfect harmony. Well worth the money.
And as already mentioned, use IMAP for mail, not POP. If your provider doesn't offer IMAP open a gmail account, get that account to check your old POP account and then enable IMAP on the gmail account.
Do I set up the main laptop with the Gmail IMAP enabled account in Apple Mail and then use Mobileme to push that out to the other devices?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2008, 11:46 PM

MobileMe e-mail is an IMAP e-mail account, so it's automatically available on all devices. If you get MobileMe anyway, I don't see why you wouldn't also want to use the e-mail. It can also fetch mail from your old e-mail account via POP.

If your current e-mail provider already supports IMAP, then you can continue to use that. All e-mails are available on all your devices then already, even without MobileMe. You would just have to set up the accounts in the respective e-mail clients – something that MobileMe can do automatically. Only push e-mail wouldn't work on your iPhone like it does with MobileMe's e-mail.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2008, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by shmoolie View Post
Do I set up the main laptop with the Gmail IMAP enabled account in Apple Mail and then use Mobileme to push that out to the other devices?
Set up the Gmail IMAP account on any computer, and MobileMe will copy the settings (server/username/password) to all the other computers. Each computer will pull the mail from Gmail.

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
MobileMe e-mail is an IMAP e-mail account, so it's automatically available on all devices. If you get MobileMe anyway, I don't see why you wouldn't also want to use the e-mail. It can also fetch mail from your old e-mail account via POP.
Given Apple's horrible performance so far (1.5 nines uptime and data loss!), there's plenty of reason to use Gmail instead.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2008, 12:04 AM

There's also plenty of reason not to use Gmail.
( Last edited by TETENAL; Aug 15, 2008 at 12:16 AM. )

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2008, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by shmoolie View Post
You can use MobileMe to just push POP mail to both your laptops. That however quickly becomes a royal pain in the proverbial, simply because changes made on one machine aren't reflected on the other. If I answer to a mail on my iPhone then that change shows on all of my three devices, instantly. POP mail can't do that.

And I prefer gmail to Apple's mail any day of the week. But YMMV.

Forum Links
Forum Rules