Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > China Olympics = Indifference?

China Olympics = Indifference? (Page 2)
Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2008, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Err... that's not the opening ceremony
LOL! Look at the tags on that video page:
gay gay gay beijing 2008

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2008, 08:18 AM

I have to say, I don't usually watch the Olympics, but since the media hype is in full swing, I decided to swing by NBC last night to see what was happening.

The first 3 times I flipped to it, I caught commercials, the fourth was an in studio interview, and finally, on my fifth try, actual Volleyball.
Not exactly the most encouraging outcome for a casual viewer.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2008, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
I have to say, I don't usually watch the Olympics, but since the media hype is in full swing, I decided to swing by NBC last night to see what was happening.

The first 3 times I flipped to it, I caught commercials, the fourth was an in studio interview, and finally, on my fifth try, actual Volleyball.
Not exactly the most encouraging outcome for a casual viewer.
If you want a high Sports-to-Fluff ratio, you're going to have to surf to the other stations that NBC is using for broadcast, if you have cable. (USA, CNBC, MSNBC, a few others). If you can watch in the morning, you'll probably see lots of live stuff, too.

NBC also brags that they're providing over 3,500 hours of coverage. It turns out, though, that 2,500 of them are streaming over the Internet, which I'm sure is where they put all the less popular sports....

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2008, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
If you want a high Sports-to-Fluff ratio, you're going to have to surf to the other stations that NBC is using for broadcast, if you have cable. (USA, CNBC, MSNBC, a few others). If you can watch in the morning, you'll probably see lots of live stuff, too.
Law & Order, Financial crap, the tail end of an interview and then Dan Abrams.

I tried, really.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2008, 08:37 AM

Well, if you can only watch in Prime Time, then you're stuck with crap, I guess. If you can watch at other times, though, you might be in luck on the other stations.

I watched the US-China basketball game over the weekend, and was pleasantly surprised to find that it was live, with truly limited commercial interruptions (the fact that there are only two timeouts per half on each side helps here). Ten-minute quarters also makes the game shorter, and less of a time investment for the casual basketball fan like me. The NBA bores me to tears, but I enjoyed the US-China game. LeBron is a beast. (And had a odd desire to go get a Coke afterwards....)

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2008, 08:41 AM

Well, if you can only watch in Prime Time, then you're stuck with crap, I guess.
Prime time has the most viewers up for grabs. The least they could do is rebroadcast the best events of the day. It's not like they have anything better going on.

If you can watch at other times, though, you might be in luck on the other stations.
Maybe on the weekend. I used the term casual viewer for a reason, though.

I watched the US-China basketball game over the weekend, and was pleasantly surprised to find that it was live, with truly limited commercial interruptions (the fact that there are only two timeouts per half on each side helps here). Ten-minute quarters also makes the game shorter, and less of a time investment for the casual basketball fan like me. The NBA bores me to tears, but I enjoyed the US-China game. LeBron is a beast. (And had a odd desire to go get a Coke afterwards....)
I had trouble paying attention to the game. Maybe because it was 10 am, maybe because it wasn't that exciting by the time I tuned in.

I'm left wondering how much of that 3500 hours of coverage is commercials...

Dork.
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2008, 08:56 AM

Prime time has the most viewers up for grabs. The least they could do is rebroadcast the best events of the day. It's not like they have anything better going on.
You're not thinking like a TV exec. They want to provide the most value for their customers. And their customers are advertisers. Prime Time ad spots command the highest prices, because there are more people watching. Why would they want to dilute that by having Olympic events on the other stations at that time? All that does is spread out the viewership, reducing the value of their prime-time advertising by more than they would recoup on the other station.

Remember, when the media meets the needs of viewers, it's just a happy coincidence. Their customers are advertisers, and our attention is the product they're selling.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2008, 08:58 AM

You're not thinking like a TV exec. They want to provide the most value for their customers. And their customers are advertisers. Prime Time ad spots command the highest prices, because there are more people watching. Why would they want to dilute that by having Olympic events on the other stations at that time? All that does is spread out the viewership, reducing the value of their prime-time advertising by more than they would recoup on the other station.
Actually, I was talking just NBC. Old good events > New shitty events for casual viewers (which i argue make up the bulk of the up for grabs crowd)

But hey, maybe it's the time difference that's the real problem here.

Monique
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2008, 09:05 AM

I watched Mike Phelps win its 5th gold medal last night and it was simply spectacular.

I am not a big Olympics watcher but love to watch swimming because it can be thrilling. After that it will be it.

It is ashamed the United States lost the gold in gymnatics, they should have won just for representing what the Olympic spirit is about.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2008, 10:19 AM

These are my first Olympics, and I've put aside politics to enjoy it for what it is. I root for the US, my gf for the Japanese, so there is rivalry in my home.

So... Phelps kicked major ass - lotsa records smashed. It was very exciting. The relay was fun to watch, as the US lead was so great.

The women's gymnastics team was disappointing, but they weren't expected to come this close to the Chinese.
I think the Chinese physique (Asians, generally) have the perfect bodies for this sport. Lean & petite, yet strong.
( Last edited by osiris; Aug 13, 2008 at 02:54 PM. )
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2008, 02:40 PM

Mixed feelings here.

My brother competes in China in the sailing competition, racing the olympic catamaran Tornado, in the spanish team. This is the reason to watch it, as it was in Athens 2004.

However, there's some things of this venue that i do not like at all. Not just political. Whoever chose Qingdao as the sailing venue location should have known that wind is actually essential for sailing.
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

TurboMac
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2008, 03:21 PM

PowerBook 1.67 - www.qimcoinc.com

Doc Juansinn
Senior User
Aug 13, 2008, 08:32 PM

As for the 2008 Olympic coverage in North America, prime time coverage is more about advertising and talking heads. It's been that way for some time. Have a laugh reading this Dave Barry piece done during the 1996 games.
http://www.zylstra.us/comedy/stories...mpic-cash.html

As for women's gymnastics, if the Chinese team really was in compliance with the requirement that the gymnasts be 16 years of age or older, then perhaps the end result would have been different.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 13, 2008, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by TurboMac View Post
I accidentally saw pictures of that. I do NOT want to watch the video of it.

For those who don't know what we are talking about, one of the weight lifters had his elbow give out and turn backwards.

Monique
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2008, 12:17 PM

Thank God for Michael Phelps.

What a great champion, it is such a great experience to see him swim.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2008, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
I accidentally saw pictures of that. I do NOT want to watch the video of it.

For those who don't know what we are talking about, one of the weight lifters had his elbow give out and turn backwards.
I can just hear the play-by-play...
"I don't think that's supposed bend that way, Tom."
"Right you are, John. Bet that'll be sore tomorrow."

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2008, 01:07 PM

"Prime Time" coverage has been great, as long as your tune in after 10:00 PM EST and like watching swimming or gymnastics. 8:00 to 10:00 pm EST is all commentary, review, beach volleyball, and diving. Maybe things will pick up when Track and Field starts...

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2008, 01:08 PM

Yeah, I found a lot less commercials last night at 1 am. Sadly it was all gymnastics.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2008, 03:06 PM

I've been more excited about these Olympics than the last few. A lot of that has to do with being able to see it in HD. I'm not a big Olympics fan. I've enjoyed watching Phelps and I catch some of the basketball games, but I'm mostly just interested in tennis.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2008, 03:08 PM

To be fair, there is not much to cover right now that would appeal to a majority of viewers. Most people, even if not all that interested in the sport itself, enjoy watching diving, swimming, and gymnastics, which are the sports currently being competed during "Prime Time". They would lose viewers if they showed judo, shooting, and equestrian instead of diving, swimming, and gymnastics IMO.

Also, there are compelling "stories" the aforementioned sports. Swimming has Americans going for medals in almost every race and then there is Phelps' quest for 8 gold medals. Gymnastics (men's) had two Americans in the All-Around Finals and the Chinese guy trying to win gold. Women's had the Americans vying for a medal and the controversy of the Chinese gymnast's ages. Diving has the always powerful Chinese athletes and, frankly, it's just fun to watch.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 14, 2008, 03:11 PM

I have probably been watching more of the olympics that previous years just because of HD as well. Being a bit of a night owl I have been able to capture more actual live coverage and avoided the back story stuff.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2008, 03:17 PM

Yeah, the HD is fantastic. I usually tune in at 8:00 to see what they will be covering and at what time. Then, I tune back in at about 10:00 when most of the swimming occurs and then I get sucked into the gymnastics later on. I'll probably watch the women's all-around final tonight. There are two Americans in the running.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2008, 03:22 PM

All the backstory bores the crap out of me. I couldn't care less how old the Chinese gymnasts are. And since I'm most definitely not a night owl, that's all I get when I watch. Oh well.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2008, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by TurboMac View Post
I swore to myself that I wouldn't watch the video, but I couldn't resist.

One of the worst things I've seen in a while.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 14, 2008, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I swore to myself that I wouldn't watch the video, but I couldn't resist.

One of the worst things I've seen in a while.
I warned you!

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2008, 03:40 PM

Without having watched the video, I'm reminded of the Phil Hartman in the Steroid Olympics.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2008, 05:43 PM

The gymnastics has been pretty disappointing this year. Seems like it comes down to whoever makes the least mistakes, not who has the best routines. Last night's men's all-around gymnastics competition was pretty hard to watch. Seeing all those world-class gymnasts struggling to even make it through their routines without royally screwing up was frustrating. I felt both sympathy and pity for them. I mean, I know they're all incredible athletes... even the guys who got last place in the easiest qualifying round are still Olympians who could run (or tumble) rings around me even if I had a lifetime of training and dedication. On the other hand, when you know you're the best in the world and you screw up at the one thing you're supposed to do better than everyone else, that has to hurt.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2008, 08:04 PM

Without having watched the video, I'm reminded of the Phil Hartman in the Steroid Olympics.
Classic.

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 14, 2008, 11:33 PM

I'm enjoying the Olympics. NBC are doing a good job of putting the stuff online. I'm watching a lot of stuff online that I would have never taken the time to watch on tv. Really digging the archery, women's weightlifting, judo etc. The only thing that I usually watch every Olympics is women's track. I love me some track women.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2008, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Monique View Post
Thank God for Michael Phelps.

What a great champion, it is such a great experience to see him swim.
yep. Sure, one could be jaded, whatever, but he is incredible and the races he's in are real drama.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2008, 01:10 AM

That's the first thing I thought of also.

http://video.aol.com/partner/hulu/sa...lMf24IyeyrT4rK
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

Forum Links
Forum Rules