Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone cable same as iPod??

iPhone cable same as iPod??
Trygve
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2008, 07:56 AM

Is the cable that came with my iPhone 3G the same as the one that came with my previous generation iPod Nano (the tall narrow one)?

They seem the same being USB to the wide, flat connector. Ok to use them interchangeably?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2008, 08:26 AM

yes.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2008, 08:32 AM

Yes, you can interchange them.

The plugs are compatible, but the case is a bit different. iPhone plugs are shorter. iPod plugs are longer and have two tabs on the side that you press to release the plug from the iPod. But both types of plugs wok in both types of devices.

-Q-
Aug 22, 2008, 09:25 AM

USB-based chargers work fine and are completely interchangeable. An old firewire-based iPod charger, however, will not work with the iPhone. You can use it to charge your phone in an emergency, but it won't transfer files or sync.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 22, 2008, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
USB-based chargers work fine and are completely interchangeable. An old firewire-based iPod charger, however, will not work with the iPhone. You can use it to charge your phone in an emergency, but it won't transfer files or sync.
An old firewire based charger will work with the original iPhone, but not the iPhone 3G.

I use the firewire charger for my original iPhone all the time. I'm using the wall-charger - syncing over firewire has been gone for a few years now from iPods.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2008, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Yes, you can interchange them.

The plugs are compatible, but the case is a bit different. iPhone plugs are shorter. iPod plugs are longer and have two tabs on the side that you press to release the plug from the iPod. But both types of plugs wok in both types of devices.
Apple has been using the shorter plugs for their iPods for some time now.

The one with the side buttons are "old-style".

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2008, 05:25 AM

Oh. Good to know. Last iPod I bought was a black 8 GB nano and that one still came with the big plug IIRC.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2008, 04:30 AM

My in car ipod charger doesn't work with my iPhone. The connectors the same so there's definitely some internal difference that stops it even charging the phone.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2008, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Andrew Stephens View Post
My in car ipod charger doesn't work with my iPhone. The connectors the same so there's definitely some internal difference that stops it even charging the phone.
This thread is about the Apple-branded iPod cable, which DOES work.

Your car charger supplies power to the pins used for Firewire charging, which has been deprecated for some time and has now been dropped from the iPhone.

Anything that powers the USB-power pins works just fine.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2008, 09:47 AM

Yep, it's not a difference in plugs. It's a difference of which pins are used to charge a device. Only the devices that charge over the USB pins will work with the new iPhone, nano, and iPod Classic. The connectors are still perfectly identical.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2008, 06:39 PM

nano and classic, as well as iPod touch and 1st-gen iPhone still charge via Firewire, AFAIK.

Bearsfan34
Aug 24, 2008, 07:24 PM

I have an older Griffin PowerJolt car charger (black) that I used with both a 5G iPod I bought in 2006 and the original iPhone. Once I got the iPhone 3G, it wouldn't charge in the car...even though it was a USB charger.

Just for laughs, I tried an Apple USB cord in the PowerJolt, and it's been charging my 3G ever since. The Griffin USB cord must've used FW as a means of providing power; the newest short Apple USB cord may work in some older iPod accessories. It's worth a try...worked for me.
-Core i5 MacBook Pro, 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM; iBook G4 1.2GHz, 1.25GB RAM
-5G white iPod 30GB; original U2 iPod 20GB mono; now on 32GB Black iPhone 4
-...oh, and a PC too.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2008, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
nano and classic, as well as iPod touch and 1st-gen iPhone still charge via Firewire, AFAIK.
Correct. While the classic and nano only sync over USB, they still charge through FW.

daniel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2008, 06:06 PM

cool, I was wondering this too

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 27, 2008, 12:54 AM

As I understand it, this is the situation: the 3G is also very picky about USB power -- it demands that the USB charging device be able to understand the USB commands to request power -- it won't just draw power blindly from the USB power pins.

Forum Links
Forum Rules