Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > web coding: html info OVER a QT mov window

web coding: html info OVER a QT mov window
kent m
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 23, 2008, 01:46 PM

I'd be happy for any advice or pointers offered. The question is a fairly straightforward one though a bit of a stickler as I understand it and may not actually be possible: I want to create page that has html info OVER a QT mov window.

I've tried using a page set up with layers, with the qt file appearing in an inline frame on the lower layer - setting the z numbers so that the layer containing the html info is above the layer with the inline frame - but the html layer is always covered by the qt window.

In searches on the intertubes I find that there have apparently been 'hack' fixes for this problem for earlier versions of IE, but nothing I find will work at all. The browsers I'm interested in supporting are Firefox, Safari & IE.

Any help appreciated, and thanks very much! If you need more info or if I haven't been clear I'd be happy to spell it all out for for in excruciating detail, ad nauseam. :-)

kent m is not a member of any public groups

kent m  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 23, 2008, 02:47 PM

I should add to this - I'm not necessarily locked into having an html layer over a QT movie. Thats just the workflow that I'm currently most familiar with. If anyone has any alternate suggestions I'd love to hear them.

I would like to keep the html 'controls' separate from the movie file in html though, I don't want to code them into the movie file.

thanks

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2008, 04:30 PM

What are you trying to accomplish?

kent m  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 23, 2008, 05:15 PM

here's a temp webpage:

http://www.kentmatheson.com/data/f4_...emp/index.html

The main viewing window shows an image file, with buttons at the right. I want one of the buttons to link to a movie file that will replace the image, as it does. However, I want the buttons to remain visible, or at least to become visible after the movies stops playing - though looping the movie file would be a nice option to have. I don't want an automatic redirect back to the still image after the movie stops playing though.

Currently this is et up with layers and iframes...

Thanks

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 23, 2008, 10:39 PM

Even if you could do this, many browsers have problems with overlaying content on top of embedded media (including Flash). You could do this in Flash if you really wanted to. Is that an option?

kent m  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2008, 11:49 AM

yeah, i was hoping layers would allow it...

flash, I suppose it would be... I don't know much about flash though. I assume its possible to create a flash 'movie' and use it as an element in an html page?

Where do I start learning about flash creation? the adobe website?

Thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules