Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Time for a new law

Time for a new law (Page 2)
Railroader
Banned
Sep 30, 2008, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
...lots of black olives ... No one without a chip on their shoulder would have called this sandwich nasty or equated it to dog poo
Not "dog poo", fresh cat poo.

And with "lots of black olives", ... oh yes I can, chip on shoulder not needed!

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 30, 2008, 02:06 PM

haha, anyhow have it any way you like!
ice

Railroader
Banned
Sep 30, 2008, 03:30 PM

NO olive please!!!

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2008, 04:16 PM

Hm, I think Ill have a Subway on the way home tonight. I've always been a fan of the Veggie with LOTS of black olives, pickles, mayo and cheese.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

mrtew
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2008, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post
They do. Most businesses already have prepared themselves for the lowest common denominator. Now it's up to the LCD-crowd to learn to read.
Oh so when businesses advertise sales on TV that actually means that they change the regular prices at the store huh? You just want to make other people look wrong so bad you don't care if you're right. If I see an ad on TV that all 12" sandwiches are on sale for $5 I wouldn't expect the menu-board to show that... I'd expect the normal price to still be there and I'd expect to get the sale price. Not to be told that the sale is at most of the other stores.

I take it you never ever go to fast food joints at all then. Without blinders on though, it's easy to see Subway doing well.
Yeah Subway is the fastest growing franchise in the world. Currently, Subway, with over 29,752 franchised units in 87 countries, is the third largest fast food operator globally after Yum! Brands (34,000 locations) and McDonald's (31,000 locations).

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 30, 2008, 06:55 PM

And when you consider how many chains make up Yum, that's even more impressive.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2008, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
Oh so when businesses advertise sales on TV that actually means that they change the regular prices at the store huh?
First off, learn what a franchise is.

Yes, at participating locations, they change the price at the store. What you see (next time LOOK UP) on the sign behind the counter is exactly what they'll charge you at the register.

The other day I actually looked in a subway near my work just out of curiosity to confirm the obvious (I haven't eaten in one in ages): the $5 subs -at locations that are participating in the offer- are indicated on the sign as $5, which is just those changeable numbers, and an open-hand sticker (hey, even the LCDs can probably count on their fingers... five!)

Hint: it you don't see $5 or the little hand sticker, then it's a safe bet you'll be charged the price that IS posted.

For the rest of us, no new laws are needed, and we don't need more 'doofus sticker' bombardments of the blatantly obvious plastered all over everything.

If I see an ad on TV that all 12" sandwiches are on sale for $5 I wouldn't expect the menu-board to show that... I'd expect the normal price to still be there and I'd expect to get the sale price. Not to be told that the sale is at most of the other stores.
Why wouldn't you expect a changeable-price menu in a fast food joint to show the actual price being charged? They use easily-changeable signs just for shits and giggles?

You even misquoted the ad. Even at locations taking part in the promotion, not all 12" sandwiches are $5- just a few items on the menu are, and are indicated as such. You simply didn't understand what you saw.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2008, 06:35 PM

First off, learn what a franchise is.
Yeah to watch TV and buy sandwiches one should definitely have a business law degree. Good point.

You even misquoted the ad. Even at locations taking part in the promotion, not all 12" sandwiches are $5- just a few items on the menu are, and are indicated as such. You simply didn't understand what you saw.
I just read the thread, I never saw the ad or went to the store. Thanks for setting the whole world straight though! You sound like McCain telling everyone they "don't understand" anything. Such an annoying way to talk to others. You're actually defending a company advertising one price while their franchisees are charging another. I hope I don't end up like that once I "understand".

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
Saw a Subway ad offering any footlong for $5. Went to Subway and was charged $13 for two subs and was told "yeah, we don't do that here".

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 2, 2008, 09:12 PM

What you see (next time LOOK UP) on the sign behind the counter is exactly what they'll charge you at the register.
You would think that... But not all "participating locations" bother to post promotional deals, or they could be behind in posting them. This would be especially problematic at the very beginning of a promotion, when it would be quite easy to forget to post the new signs, change the menu board, or otherwise update the signage.

By the way, ever try to figure out the menu layout in a franchise restaurant like Subway, at a location you haven't been to before? Unlike McDonalds, which is manacle about standardization, Subway is pretty laissez-faire about almost everything (thus the "participating locations" issue in the first place), so you could walk three blocks and see three different Subway locations with three completely different menu posting layouts. Pretty confusing for a new customer, and that's just what those disreputable managers I referred to above are counting on—especially since they know they aren't getting much return business.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 2, 2008, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
You would think that... But not all "participating locations" bother to post promotional deals, or they could be behind in posting them. This would be especially problematic at the very beginning of a promotion, when it would be quite easy to forget to post the new signs, change the menu board, or otherwise update the signage.
Indeed. Every large chain or franchise has occasional problems with promotion materials not arriving on time.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 2, 2008, 11:25 PM

Hasn't subway been running this promotion for like, a year? Are some subways just coming on board with it? If all else fails, and there's no signage in the window, would it be difficult to ask one of the sandwich artists if they have a $5 deal going on? Especially before ordering like 7 footlong subs.

: )
ice

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 2, 2008, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
Yeah to watch TV and buy sandwiches one should definitely have a business law degree. Good point.
I'm not entirely sure why you would need a business law degree to understand what a franchise is. Seems a good basic knowledge of how society and business work in general would suffice.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

mrtew
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2008, 12:04 AM

Well from reading this thread I understand that it means you get to create the illusion that you're one big company but you don't have to act like it. Is that enough to know?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 3, 2008, 12:20 AM

Pretty much.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Cipher13
Oct 3, 2008, 01:21 AM

As far as fast food goes, Subway is pretty high up the ladder. I'd have to say Subway, Yoshinoya, and Oporto are the best FF places around here.

There is no substitute for making your own food, though.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2008, 01:28 AM

If all else fails, and there's no signage in the window, would it be difficult to ask one of the sandwich artists if they have a $5 deal going on?
Oh come on now, then people couldn't go online and pretend they suffered some great hardship. Don't bring common sense into this- we need new laws don't you understand?

"Ask", he says! Sheesh.

Meanwhile, for all the poor bastards baffled by franchises and the price of things, I suggest you petition congress for your $3 bailout.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2008, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
What you're outlining is pretty much the complete opposite of the scenario presented by the O.P.

At a participating location that hadn't changed its sign, you'd get what seemed like a bargain at the register. "Oh, sorry sir, that sub isn't $6.50, it's $5. We didn't change the sign. Sorry for the $1.50 mixup in your favor."

Anyone complaining about that scenario too?

Or is their an assumption that a participating location wouldn't tell anyone they were part of the promotion and charge the regular prices... in which case it's not all that much of a promotion I guess.

A non-participating location wouldn't have changed its signs and wouldn't be worried about receiving any promotional materials... they *drumroll* aren't participating. The $6.50 sub is: $6.50. This, by the way is the relevant scenario to this thread.

Surely there are some non-invented societal injustices still out there somewhere, or is this really what we've come to?

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2008, 04:41 AM

Quiznos is better! (someone had to say it) they have a similar $5 deal but they offer limited sandwiches at that price... and their bread is AWESOME!!! and they actually began the toasted sub thing (at least in a big company)

-Zach

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2008, 11:48 PM

Subway and Publix Deli Subs
Pollo Tropical 50%-fat chicken n:
I love it when clueless consumers fall for these bait and switch. They keep the U.S. economy rolling, while leaving the good deals for me.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2008, 04:16 AM

I just noticed that Subways here have the same deal - except it's €5 foot-long subs.

And I've only been to Subways two or three times. It's crap. I mean, it's pretty good for fast food, but they lose - badly - to the Croque Master: http://www.croquemaster.de/bestellung.php?site=croque

Excellent, crunchy bread, fresh ingredients, home-made sauces that sop all over the plate in QUANTITY (and that the proprietor spent four weeks refining the recipe for), all freshly toasted until it's DONE (not until slightly warm, and only on request).

"Croques" appear to be a northern German phenomenon, oddly enough. The Croque Master ones are the second-best I've had (third if you count the two stores that had better ones as separate, because they were initially set up by the same guy).

Sorry, but Subway is crap.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 5, 2008, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
I just noticed that Subways here have the same deal - except it's €5 foot-long subs.

And I've only been to Subways two or three times. It's crap. I mean, it's pretty good for fast food, but they lose - badly - to the Croque Master: http://www.croquemaster.de/bestellung.php?site=croque

Excellent, crunchy bread, fresh ingredients, home-made sauces that sop all over the plate in QUANTITY (and that the proprietor spent four weeks refining the recipe for), all freshly toasted until it's DONE (not until slightly warm, and only on request).

"Croques" appear to be a northern German phenomenon, oddly enough. The Croque Master ones are the second-best I've had (third if you count the two stores that had better ones as separate, because they were initially set up by the same guy).

Sorry, but Subway is crap.

FOUR WEEKS!?!?! zmg thats crazy. Could you imagine if he spent FIVE weeks on the recipe!?

Toasted on request? In the past two years I haven't been into a Subway that didn't ask me "would you like this toasted?" They'll even vary the time if you want it more or less toasted. Just sayin'.
ice

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2008, 04:59 PM

Toasted on request? In the past two years I haven't been into a Subway that didn't ask me "would you like this toasted?" They'll even vary the time if you want it more or less toasted. Just sayin'.
Toasted subway subs still stink compared to a good tosted Blimpie.
Problem is, Blimpie's has HUGE issues with consistency.

Most Blimpie's in VA were great. All the Blimpie's in the Mid-West sucked big times. I dunno why there's such a huge difference.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules