Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > How can I backup to a NAS device?

How can I backup to a NAS device?
SwissMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2008, 04:54 PM

I am having a problem finding a backup solution, to an NAS device.

I have a Netgear Infrant ReadyNAS storage device with 4 disks arranged in a RAID array for backup purposes. This device uses Linux as its OS on a CF card, and is attached via Network cable to our network.

Our Network consists of a PowerMac G5 running OS X Tiger server which we use to run our Samba fileshares, intranet, and database which are accessed over Gigabit network by three Macs and three PCs.

Ideally I would like to set up an automated backup process that saves and syncs our data to the NAS device which has 750 Gb space. The NAS would be used for daily backups, allowing us to use our WD MyBook 500 Gb to store more long term backups in the form of a bootable clone and weekly or monthly file backups.

My problem is that the NAS cannot be formatted to HFS+ as it runs Linux which controls its RAID and file system. This prevents us using either Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper.

We are therefore currently using rsync on an old PC running Ubuntu which syncs the daily changed files from the PowerMac to the Linux machine, then saves and archives them and moves them to the NAS for long term storage.

Somewhere in this mess we have a conflict causing regular crashes and lockouts of the PowerMac.

Is there a simple way to achieve what we want? The PCs have to be able to read the files as well as the Macs. I have asked on the CCC forums, and on the NAS forums, as well as on ordinary Mac forums but have so far run out of ideas.

I can't believe backing up over a network is an unknown problem, and I just wonder if there is a simple solution for Macs.

TIA

Mac

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2008, 04:06 PM

Why not just run rsync on the PowerMac?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 15, 2008, 05:02 PM

Indeed, you don't even need to format the drives as anything, you just enable the SMB or AFP shares and off you go.

Forum Links
Forum Rules