Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Best place for imac memory upgrade

Best place for imac memory upgrade
money69
Nov 25, 2008, 01:27 AM

Im looking to upgrade my 2.8Ghz 24in Imac to 4GB from 2GB worth of RAM. Anyway, whats a good place to buy RAM thats reliable and at a good price.

Thanks

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2008, 04:09 AM

Remove the two 1 GB SO-DIMMs you have. Insert two 2 GB SO-DIMMs instead. You need 200 pin DDR2 SO-DIMMs at 800 MHz (PC2-6400).

Newegg is cheap. You can get your 4 GB for as little as $40. 4 GB from Kingston are $52. And if you'r into Crucial you can get 4 GB for $60. They also have some 4 GB kits (two 2 GB sticks sold together) — some of which come with free shipping.

money69  (op)
Nov 25, 2008, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Remove the two 1 GB SO-DIMMs you have. Insert two 2 GB SO-DIMMs instead. You need 200 pin DDR2 SO-DIMMs at 800 MHz (PC2-6400).

Newegg is cheap. You can get your 4 GB for as little as $40. 4 GB from Kingston are $52. And if you'r into Crucial you can get 4 GB for $60. They also have some 4 GB kits (two 2 GB sticks sold together) — some of which come with free shipping.
Any of the memory with the specs you mentioned should do from Newegg, all the memory they sell is good quality, i.e. no errors etc. ??? Also, the 200pin looks to be laptop memory according to the descriptions on the website, is this what the imac needs?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2008, 09:26 AM

A lot of people buy from Newegg. Their RAM should be fine. Of course you could just be unlucky and get sent a DOA stick, but that could happen anywhere. Newegg is not special in that regard.

Make sure you check the warranty and return policy of the RAM you buy. If you like, you can chose a brand like Crucial, Corsair or Kingston if that makes you feel safer.
( Last edited by Simon; Nov 25, 2008 at 09:34 AM. )

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2008, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by money69 View Post
Any of the memory with the specs you mentioned should do from Newegg, all the memory they sell is good quality, i.e. no errors etc. ??? Also, the 200pin looks to be laptop memory according to the descriptions on the website, is this what the imac needs?
RAM is RAM, no matter what store happens to carry it. Just get a brand that has a lifetime warranty, and you'll be fine.

I bought a 2x1GB DDR kit from Newegg for my neighbor a few weeks ago, and one of the DIMMs was bad. It happens, but with a warranty it's easy to remedy.

PNY, Corsair, Kingston, Crucial, and PQI are all fine brands to use. Newegg tends to have the best prices, although ZipZoomFly can have pretty good prices, too.

You can use Crucial.com's memory tool to figure exactly what RAM you need.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules