Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Snow Leopard - Recommendations

Snow Leopard - Recommendations
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2008, 12:23 PM

Been using Leopard since i got it about 3 weeks ago. the UI changes over Tiger are a mixed bag. Here are some things about the UI i'd like to change:
-Dock
i dont like the "3D" effect with reflections, it's distracting. Although a "tinted glass" looking dock thats the same shape as the tiger dock (rectangle) would be nice. Also, i usually position my dock on the right side of the screen and the design on Leopard is just plain ugly with that thich border. it needs to be consistent.

-Color
Scrolling through menus, i noticed the 'blue' is less aqua and more indigo. they need to get it more "aqua-ish".

-Folder Icons
I liked the Tiger folder icons, they had some personality and depth. the Leopard ones just look way too 'unix-y' for my taste.

-Videos
I really like the multi-touch videos, theyre a great learning aid imo. It wouldnt hurt to have a disc with more of those (although i think they have video available via MobileMe)
And since we're on videos, what happened to the videos playing in the dock ?

I really hope we see more animations in the GUI this time around as well. the genie effect and expose' are cool ... that needs to be explored.

Anyway, what do you guys want to see improved ?

Cheers

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 25, 2008, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
-Dock
i dont like the "3D" effect with reflections, it's distracting. Although a "tinted glass" looking dock thats the same shape as the tiger dock (rectangle) would be nice. Also, i usually position my dock on the right side of the screen and the design on Leopard is just plain ugly with that thich border. it needs to be consistent.
Download Docker. It's free.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

alpha_l33t
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2008, 11:14 PM

Touchable Screen. lol

There is an interesting issue of Mac|Life that talked about this.

Time Machine is awesome, but If it was a little snappier it would be a little better. I mean, i know they did a lot to get it as fast as it is, but i've to a 250GB LaCie connected by FireWire 800, and I still notice decent search times.
-R
iMac Enthusiast
Student of Advanced Mathematics/Computer Science and Engineering
Learning Java

voicebox
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 26, 2008, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ted L. Nancy View Post
Download Docker. It's free.
Hi Ted,
Thanks for posting the link to 'Docker' - I have been looking for something like this since 'ClearDock!'
Although the thin white border that now surrounds my dock is a little annoying - is there anyway of getting rid of it?
voicebox
"If you don't like the heat, don't go in the kitchen!"
17" Core2duo MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 4Gb/160HD Snow Leopard 10.6.8 || 15" PowerBook 1Gz 1Gb/120 HD Tiger 10.4.11|| 24" iMac 3.06Gz 4Gb/2TB HD Yosemite10.10.2

Northeastern292
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2008, 06:34 PM

Support for PowerPC Macs, and in this economy, it would be a wise move for Apple, since not everyone has money for a new computer. And since Apple has been promising a reduced footprint for OS X, give the PowerPC users what they want.

And honestly, does Apple think that they are going to be able to continue to cut support for older Macs forever? At this rate, come 10.7, Macs built this year won't have support.
The Mac Collection:

Power Mac G4 Sawtooth at 450MHz, Power Mac G4 Gigabit Ethernet at 400MHz, three Power Mac FW800's at 1.0GHz, MacBook Pro at 2.0GHz, my late father's G3 iMac at 350MHz, an iMac at 500MHz, a PowerBook G4 (12-inch VGA) and a PowerBook 170

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2008, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Been using Leopard since i got it about 3 weeks ago. the UI changes over Tiger are a mixed bag. Here are some things about the UI i'd like to change:
-Dock

-Color
Scrolling through menus, i noticed the 'blue' is less aqua and more indigo. they need to get it more "aqua-ish".

-Folder Icons
I liked the Tiger folder icons, they had some personality and depth. the Leopard ones just look way too 'unix-y' for my taste.

-Videos
I really like the multi-touch videos, theyre a great learning aid imo. It wouldnt hurt to have a disc with more of those (although i think they have video available via MobileMe)
And since we're on videos, what happened to the videos playing in the dock ?

I really hope we see more animations in the GUI this time around as well. the genie effect and expose' are cool ... that needs to be explored.

Anyway, what do you guys want to see improved ?

Cheers
Did this post fall through a wormhole from the past?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2008, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Northeastern292 View Post
And honestly, does Apple think that they are going to be able to continue to cut support for older Macs forever? At this rate, come 10.7, Macs built this year won't have support.
I don't think you can extrapolate like that. The change from PPC to x86 was a fundamental change of the underlying hardware. This cut-off is not arbitrary. The reason things are being cut off earlier than what we are used to is simply because some of the modifications Apple is making to the code for the new ISA are either not feasible or not practical for the older ISA.

The way I see it SL is geared at improving Intel Mac performance and laying the groundwork for future versions of OS X. I don't think Leopard users on PPC will be missing out on a lot compared to what Intel users on SL are seeing. I understand it stinks if SL gets some fancy GUI tweaks that PPC users won't be getting even though that has nothign to do with the ISA. But I'm pretty sure there will only be few such changes. And I do think Apple is right in making sure that future versions of the OS perform best on their new platform of choice.

voicebox
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 27, 2008, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Now erik, you really shoudn't tease the poor guy!
17" Core2duo MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 4Gb/160HD Snow Leopard 10.6.8 || 15" PowerBook 1Gz 1Gb/120 HD Tiger 10.4.11|| 24" iMac 3.06Gz 4Gb/2TB HD Yosemite10.10.2

voicebox
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 27, 2008, 05:21 AM

Sorry, double post!!

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2008, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
might have.... i forget. you tell me

64stang06
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2008, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Northeastern292 View Post
Support for PowerPC Macs, and in this economy, it would be a wise move for Apple, since not everyone has money for a new computer. And since Apple has been promising a reduced footprint for OS X, give the PowerPC users what they want.

I can understand your concern if this was a case of G4 vs G5, but you're talking about PPC to Intel, which was a huge change in architecture. Since Intel is the future, it makes sense for Apple to optimize the OS and cut off PPC support.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

EMKarelia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2009, 01:58 PM

I would recommend you using supperdocker. I think it has the same functions that your looking for.
Ernest M, Karelia Software: Makers of Sandvox, Mac Website Builder

Forum Links
Forum Rules