Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Thinking of building a little media PC for my family... for christmas

Thinking of building a little media PC for my family... for christmas
NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Nov 21, 2008, 01:33 PM

.... so that they can brows the internet/watch downloaded videos on there TV. i just have a few questions, im not the worlds greatest PC builder but given the components i can turn them into a PC for sure.

Thinking something along the lines of cheap and cheerful, its for my Sister and Brother-in-law who aren't the most tech savvy people in the world, but i would like them to get the benefit of making a PC more of there life for things like BBC iplayer, internet sourced films ect as well as a spot of browsing. they have a PC in there living room but is also quite dated and they would never think of watching video on it.

so was wondering how cheaply i could build a PC to suit there needs of browsing and watching video, only think i have to note is that they have a CRT TV and i would need to run the image into that, so would it be S-Video

So things i think i would need, you can tell me if i need more or if i can get shot of things:

Motherboard
Case, PSU
Keyboard with possible trackball/touch pad built in (wireless)
CPU
integrated graphics on the MB? or would i need a certain GFX card to deal with CRT TV
integrated sound on the MB?
1 GB max of ram?

can anyone offer me anymore help?

Matt
The Spammer Formally Known As Crazyreaper
Mac Book Pro 15", 2.66 Ghz C2D, 4GB DDR3 / iPhone 4 16GB

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2008, 02:09 PM

Why not get a AppleTV and patchstick it ?

Applying the patchstick might be a bit of work, unless you buy the commercial version. But once it's applied, it runs well.

But don't forget that you'll need this DVI to S-Video adapter.

-t

NobleMatt  (op)
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Nov 21, 2008, 02:16 PM

because an apple TV is £200 and i think i could build a basic PC that acts as a media centre that you can do a few more things on for less, but i maybe wrong i havent gone too far into it yet, only just thought about it.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2008, 02:56 PM

I just a Linux based media center PC, but I wouldn't build one for a family member since I'd have to support them. Same would apply to a Windows based one too... I'm ambivalent about Apple TV other than to say that it's not for me...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2008, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by crazyreaper View Post
because an apple TV is £200

It's $ 229 in the US, and for that amount, I wouldn't even think about building a PC.

-t

NobleMatt  (op)
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Nov 21, 2008, 03:30 PM

yer well thats the UK being ripped off again, i mean just to give u an example of some rough prices, i can get a case for £10, motherboard from £35 inc integrated GFX (i think), Hard Drives i think i have a few kicking about they can have, ram from between £10-20, Power Suply £8, all in one keyboard between £20-30 and i think i have a wireless dongle at home for the wifi

thats £100 tops plus a few cables, screws ect

my only concern is how i can get the picture to the TV, any ideas?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2008, 03:33 PM

You need a GPU that has S-Video outputs.

I'm not sure how standard that is for onboard GPUs.

I'm sure there are converters from VGA to S-Video, but those would probably cost too much to make sense.

-t

NobleMatt  (op)
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Nov 21, 2008, 03:45 PM

ok so a GFX card with a TV out can be picked up for about £20

also just found this little thing:

would allow me to run the audio through the TV

Edit: mind you i could do that through an s-video cable and the same audio cable into the s-video on the TV

Edit 2: might also need a DVD drive do you think?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2008, 03:51 PM

That should work, but the quality is even worse than S_Video, because you are basically using a composite output.

-t

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 21, 2008, 04:00 PM

To be honest, I'd just buy the Apple TV, it has everything there that you need and it's simple and easy to use.

If you want to build a PC, I'd build one that's going to last with good quality components, otherwise you're going to spend ridiculous amounts of time going 'why doesn't this work' - there are some really bad components on the market.

You'd probably be looking at the £350 price point, if you want me to give you the run down of components I used to build PCs, let me know.

NobleMatt  (op)
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Nov 21, 2008, 04:05 PM

Hmmm maybe im being a little optimistic, was just an idea i had and wondered if it was possible, maybe i'll put together a shopping list of components and post to see what you guys think, im not willing to spent masses on them cause im a skint student but just wanted to do sommet nice for there christmas present.

thanks guys

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2008, 04:22 PM

You should consider the impact from "tech support" that this might trigger.
With Windows, the software side will be more finicky, and it'll be much easier to get screwed up.
You'll be obliged to fix it every time something breaks down.

Also, consider that the Apple TV comes with a remote control.
This would add extra cost to your PC.

-t

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 21, 2008, 04:25 PM

Well he was already planning to factor in the wireless keyboard/mouse.

If you get reliable hardware, the only issues you should run into are viruses and other malware. Don't forget to factor in the cost of the Windows licence!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2008, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
Well he was already planning to factor in the wireless keyboard/mouse.
Nah, that user experience would be bad.

Who wants to use a mouse to do basic operations like pause a movie ?

-t

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 21, 2008, 04:45 PM

I understand where you're coming from, however, sensible media players (except Windows Media Player -surprise surprise) use space as their play/pause. Remotes ARE a lot nicer and more friendly though. I personally just use my MacBook and a small GUI for controlling my media center over the network, since if I'm watching recorded TV in the lounge, I'm going to have my MacBook running anyway.

But yeah, buying the TV card and the remote isn't cheap. It'd probably work out cheaper in the end to pick up an entire 2nd hand media center from eBay.

Getting back on topic; yes you'd need a separate graphics card for S-Video out capabilities, the only PCs I've ever seen with it onboard were small Shuttle PCs.

NobleMatt  (op)
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Nov 21, 2008, 05:04 PM

yer the tech side of things is a good point and something i thought about, if theres going to be nothing of major importance on the HDD i was going to supply a ghost image with appropriate software to solve any major issues and as long as i make sure my nieces use the house hold PC for there random browsing and not the TV then i hope that it shouldnt pick many, if any viruses up.

yer i know what you mean about PC card/remote but its just something i'll have to compromise on with the keyboard, the ones ive looked at aint too bad as far as a lap-based keyboard with trackpad go, and they included media buttons which is pretty much the use of a remote.

*cough* as for the windows..... wouldnt worry too much about that, i have a nice stripped down performance version i would be using for that *cough*

Remlyor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2008, 12:11 AM

Just curious, why did you post in a mac forum about a PC? Did you expect a warm response to your issue, I never jumped into a PC forum to discuss mac issues or needs.
Mac Classic II, Powermac 7300, Powermac G3 Minitower, Powermac G4 Quicksilver, Powermac G5 1.8 Single, Powerbook G3 Lombard 333 Mhz, Powerbook G4 (DVI) 667 Mhz, Original iPod 5gb, iPod 4th Gen 20 GB, iPod Touch 8 GB 1st Gen, Pod Touch 16 GB 2nd Gen,

NobleMatt  (op)
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Nov 27, 2008, 07:29 AM

why? because lets face it we have all used PC's at some point in our lives, prob before we switched to mac, and chances are if we are on a forum chatting about macs then we are most probably quite geeky, and when we were in out PC stages we were prob still a geek back then, and as proven by the posts above its not like people dont know about PC's were not all Fan Boys who can only deal and talk about mac's, we under stand that macs have a 10% or less share of the market.

Remlyor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2008, 01:55 AM

Now I know I'm talking to a PC user at heart, as real mac users do not call one another Fanboys. I'll admit I have a PC, guess what, it's a glorified toy, yep plays games not released to the mac platform. Do I trust anything important on that PC, not on your life, it's all safe on my mac. If you want about the same reaction, go into a PC forum, and I dare you to start talking to them about macs, guess what, it won't be pleasant. Been reading MacNN forums for a bit, and responding occasionally, but the post regarding PC's is just silly. Things like "dear god, they messed up the new laptops, guess I'm getting a Dell dude". Know what, if that's what you want, MS Vista, be my guest, go there and enjoy daily viri and maintenance issues.
Mac Classic II, Powermac 7300, Powermac G3 Minitower, Powermac G4 Quicksilver, Powermac G5 1.8 Single, Powerbook G3 Lombard 333 Mhz, Powerbook G4 (DVI) 667 Mhz, Original iPod 5gb, iPod 4th Gen 20 GB, iPod Touch 8 GB 1st Gen, Pod Touch 16 GB 2nd Gen,

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2008, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by crazyreaper View Post
why? because lets face it we have all used PC's at some point in our lives, prob before we switched to mac...
Not that it's that relevant to this thread but I did want to add this just for the record. Not everybody has switched to the Mac from a Win PC. I came to the Mac from an Apple II and a C64. At the time I also played around with Amigas and worked on a VAX and an Apollo workstation. The first time I bought my own PC was when I was playing around with OpenStep and Linux. I never owned a Win PC myself. I have several I use at work though. Among many other Macs, Linux PCs, Suns, etc.

There are quite a few Mac people who just don't really care about Windows. And you're likely to find quite a few of those on this board. Sure you will find people here who can offer advice on building your own PC, but you'd probably be better off getting that information on another board. That's said, I do not condone any hostility here towards what you want to do. Building a PC is a good learning experience.

OreoCookie
Nov 28, 2008, 07:10 AM

Also, one important point: you list components, but those are the cheapest of the cheap and the quality is nowhere nearly as good. The other point is noise: if you want a rather silent media station (which you probably do), then you should invest in components that are quiet. I've once built a Duron-based media station, but it as never as quiet as a notebook or so (although for a PC, it was very quiet). It also cost me about €250-300.

Taking that into account, an Apple TV is not such a bad deal, especially since you can stick to only one platform.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

red rocket
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2008, 08:10 AM

I would echo the tv suggestion.

You say your sister and brother-in-law already have some old PC in their living room. Although well-intentioned, cluttering up their place with another ugly and noisy piece of DIY tech just so they can watch video through it doesn’t sound like such a good idea to me. Fanboyism has nothing to do with it, I don’t think, most non-geeks actually prefer something small, unobtrusive and easy to use, and in this case, an tv fits the bill best, in my opinion.

NobleMatt  (op)
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Nov 28, 2008, 02:04 PM

thanks Red Rocket and OreoCookie for the responses, i think im gonna self the idea for a bit, maybe look to do it next christmas when i have a bit more money kicking about so can buy something of a bit more quality.

as for the comments made by Simon and Remlyor.

Remlyor you clearly are a fanboy IMO because OS X and Windows are very good at what they do, they just do different things in different ways, growing up (baring in mind im 20) i hated macs, couldn't stand them mainly because i couldn't understand them, so moved on from the C64 to my first windows PC running 95 and it did everything i needed to do with very little fuss, word process, surf, game and basic graphics. Yes as i got more advanced and pushed later rigs to their limits, learning as i go along, problems came up, only ever lost a HDD once i think and that was 3 years ago or so on a laptop which i cant remember how i did it... might have been a pint of water lol. switched to mac two years ago cause it was just the done thing in graphics and i woke up to the face they had found we had more than one finger so gave us more than on button. and guess what had problems too lost data, you cant say OS X is fool proof yes, you may find it like that now because you have been using it since day one.

Yes i grew up on windows, all i knew for many year's, only been a mac user for 2 years, maybe i am a PC user as heart, but i know i prefer OS X for the things i do now, i still use Windows for engineering design and gaming, because they arent supported on OS X. I unlike a fanboy am open to the fact that both operating systems (XP and OS X) are good at what they do.

As for Simon, sorry simon might be a bit nieve (spelling) because of my age, someone my age (20) wouldnt really have come across C64 and Amegas because they were a little before our time, i was one of the few people out of my friends to still have a C64 about as a child (and still have it today) but yer maybe im talking from someone who group up at a time when all we are known and shown is windows.

mod's feel free to lock this topic if you think its going to cause conflict

Forum Links
Forum Rules