Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Best Mac Notebook For A Writer

Best Mac Notebook For A Writer
Mallrat
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 2008, 05:44 PM

I'm looking for opinions on which laptop is best for the writer on the go in NYC.

I write screenplays. As every New Yorker knows, there are plenty of Starbucks on every corner and other locals with wireless Internet to go and write.

I'm looking for what you think (especially if you are a writer). Main issues to me are being able to use Final Draft software (screenplay software), being able to use Mac OS X, wireless and I really want a light laptop.

So what do you write on? Which computer do you prefer to spend hours typing on in a coffee house while observing the world around you?

I really like the ibook g3 clamshells for typing on, but they are a heavy and a bit weird looking compared to new sleek macbooks.

Thanks for any response.

Cold Warrior
Nov 30, 2008, 05:53 PM

If money isn't a concern and you don't mind some important limitations, a MacBook Air would be nice. Otherwise I also think the new MacBooks are good.

What other things do you do with a notebook computer?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2008, 06:25 PM

I'd say the old MacBook Pro (or a PowerBook if you like to be obsolete ). The PowerBook/old MBP keyboard is just delightful to type on. The form factor of the new MacBook makes it a great general-purpose, go-anywhere computer, but for writing, I've never found a laptop keyboard that beats the PowerBook.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2008, 06:47 PM

I'd also side with the MacBook Air

amazing
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2008, 07:25 PM

Sounds like you're a good candidate for a well-cared-for 12" PB. Small, reasonable weight, good wireless range.

'Course the new unibody MB is the same weight, though much bigger. Depends on how you like the screen, what with it being super glossy. Within a few months there'll be some refurbs available.

If money's no object, the MB Air.

Mallrat  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 2008, 07:33 PM

I'm was curious what everyone thought overall, but since I do have an iMac desktop pretty much just need a laptop for writing.

I used to own the 1400c and love the keyboard, although that computer is way too old to run anything. But iBooks are great.

My wife has a macbook, so I've used it. But she uses it for work most of the time. And I've found when I have used it, the edges really hurt my wrists.

That is why I think clamshell, because it was so fun to type on them. But the screen only goes to 800 x 600 and that might drive me nuts in 2009.

amazing
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2008, 07:44 PM

But wouldn't you rather be running the latest system software, with a decent amount of RAM?

Now I'm thinking the 12" 1.5 GHZ iBook. Excellent wireless range, same screen as the 12" PB, should be able to find one fairly easily. Might not be as cheap as you'd like, since they're still popular. Third of a pound heavier than the 12" PB.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2008, 07:48 PM

You really can't beat the pricing on the Apple refurbed Early 2008 MBPs, IMO, but I understand if you need something smaller.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2008, 10:11 PM

I would take care of my eyes and my hands. Small can be handy to carry the laptop in and out of places. On the long run, it might be a good idea to get a larger screen (and better quality I might add) and offset the size with a good bag. LArger screen can be better for your eyes... after all you depend on them for your writting. The keyboard can go either way (MB or MBP). At the end, I would go for the MBP (refurbished - great prices).

regards

shrugs*
Dec 1, 2008, 01:59 AM

Add a Time Capsule or another form of external backup to anything you end up getting. And then add another layer of external backups.

Redundancy makes baby jesus smile.
Macbook Pro + Sawtooth

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2008, 02:22 AM

The new unibody MacBook is beautiful, if you can stomach the price. It'll be more than powerful enough for you, and light too. I wouldn't get anything more than a couple years old though; it'll just end up aging too quickly.

And as far I as I can tell, there never was a 12" 1.5GHz iBook – I had the very last revision before the MacBook was introduced, and it was a 1.33 GHz G4.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

amazing
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2008, 02:47 AM

oops, my bad. Must've been thinking of the 1.42 14" iBook at the same time as the 1.5 12" PB, whereupon the old brain cells misfired.

My old 1.33 12" PB would be just dandy for a writer...

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2008, 04:17 AM

i used my 1.5g 12" PB with final cut (and a lot of other software); loved working in coffeebars; easy to carry, good battery life. u could have bought mine (still had a year of applecare), i just sold it.

otherwise...the air is great for your needs, and, again, small & light. plus the backlit keyboard is great for dark coffebars (and late-night writing)...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

OreoCookie
Dec 1, 2008, 07:13 AM

Sounds like you should have a look at the AirBook. If that's too expensive, the MacBook will suit your needs just fine, too, although it's larger (obviously).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules