Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Does anyone here NOT want anything for Christmas?

Does anyone here NOT want anything for Christmas? (Page 2)
nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2008, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I'd rather get a gift card than cash. With cash, I'm tempted to spend it on something responsible like gas, groceries, or rent, and I'll feel guilty if I splurge on something I don't need. With the right gift card, this isn't an issue.
That's another thing I don't get. What's so bad about buying groceries or rent? Why is it considered a bad thing to use a gift on practical needs?

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2008, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
Why is it considered a bad thing to use a gift on practical needs?
I find Christmas to be the perfect time for the impractical. Worry about practical the other 11 months of the year. If you can't loosen up at Christmas there's no hope for you.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2008, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
If you can't loosen up at Christmas there's no hope for you.
Huh, Christmas as the ultimate "loosen up" occasion ?

Strange

-t

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2008, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Huh, Christmas as the ultimate "loosen up" occasion ?

Strange

-t
Well, other than Arbor Day.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2008, 05:31 PM

I find Christmas to be the perfect time for the impractical. Worry about practical the other 11 months of the year. If you can't loosen up at Christmas there's no hope for you.
The quicker my practical needs are taken care of, the quicker I can loosen up and be frivolous. Therefore practical Christmas gifts, and gifts of cash that can be spent on the mortgage increase my average level of relaxation.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2008, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
The quicker my practical needs are taken care of, the quicker I can loosen up and be frivolous. Therefore practical Christmas gifts, and gifts of cash that can be spent on the mortgage increase my average level of relaxation.
If you need people to help with your mortgage at Christmas, perhaps you aren't being practical enough the other 11 months of the year.

It's ok to live a little, especially when it's not your money.

andi*pandi
Dec 1, 2008, 05:39 PM

I would rather get something I need than crapjunk or trinkets I don't want or need. I've asked for socks, slippers, etc before. However, the problem is when someone gives you crapjunk they think you'd want. I have a bag in the closet I've dubbed the "regift" bag. Unfortunately, it's hard to find occasions to use those items on people I actually like.

Unless, hey, would anyone want a tote bag decorated with with a teddy wearing a santa hat? How about a wizard pin?

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2008, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
However, the problem is when someone gives you crapjunk they think you'd want.
You bring up good point. I'd rather get nothing from most people, particularly because of what occurs due to either budget or judgement constraints.

(This is, however, why Gift Cards aren't the most horrible thing in the world. Maybe you would prefer a sweater with a Rudolph-print and battery powered light-up nose over a Gift Card. I'm not sure you're in the majority, though)

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 1, 2008, 06:32 PM

Don't want anything. Won't give anything. My wife and kids share in this family "policy" every year, and Christmas remains one of our favorite holidays.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2008, 08:11 PM

If you need people to help with your mortgage at Christmas, perhaps you aren't being practical enough the other 11 months of the year.

It's ok to live a little, especially when it's not your money.
Money is money. The more money goes into my accounts, the more is left after I pay the bills et al. And the more control I have over the allocation of that money, the better I am able to create an environment suitable to my own tastes and desires.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2008, 08:12 PM

You bring up good point. I'd rather get nothing from most people, particularly because of what occurs due to either budget or judgement constraints.

(This is, however, why Gift Cards aren't the most horrible thing in the world. Maybe you would prefer a sweater with a Rudolph-print and battery powered light-up nose over a Gift Card. I'm not sure you're in the majority, though)
Would you prefer $50 or a $50 gift card to the Rudolph-print sweater store?

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 1, 2008, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Unless, hey, would anyone want a tote bag decorated with with a teddy wearing a santa hat? How about a wizard pin?
You should have signed up for this.

You could have emptied the whole bag for the cost of shipping.

Forum Links
Forum Rules