Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Mystery Science Theater 3000 Fans Thread

Mystery Science Theater 3000 Fans Thread
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2009, 07:01 PM

I hope I'm not the only Mystery Science fan on the forums. Here are two links of interest I recently found, posted for fellow fans:

Joel & 'Bots Return for Brief DVD Reunion (DVD available at Rhino.com)

MST3K Complete Torrent, 135 GB - it's part of an official Internet archive project; there are a lot of seeders of it now, and it's worth the wait and drive space for true fans.

Then there are the 'bot-less spin-off projects, done separately by Joel and Mike, RiffTrax and Cinematic Titanic, but I haven't gotten into them yet.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2009, 09:00 PM

Yes. I was going to recommend cinematic titanic...I bought the first DVD they put out "the oozing skull" and it's great.

http://www.cinematictitanic.com/

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2009, 10:56 PM

Edit: my inner asshole came in here and posted while I was taking a nap.

My apologies.
( Last edited by subego; Jan 2, 2009 at 11:30 PM. )

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2009, 11:43 PM

Big MST3K fan here. I have a few DVDs and some other episodes as AVIs that I downloaded years ago -- "Beginning of the End" ("Hi, I'm Peter Graves..."), "The Wild World of Batwoman," "Space Mutiny" ("Slab Bulkhead!"), "Prince of Space," and, of course, "The Final Sacrifice" ("Rowsdower...").

Sadly, I don't think I can swing the 135 GB at the moment, but thanks for the link, anyway. YouTube also has a bunch of the episodes and shorts available, so I've been getting my fix that way.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2009, 11:45 PM

I even have my own Tom Servo. I'm waiting on my Crow T. Robot.

"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

flabasha
Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2009, 03:31 AM

MST3K rules, and will rule, for all time.

Favorites...

Pod People ("That one's hard on pants")
Godzilla Vs. Megalon ("Have fun, Johnny! Don't forget to play in traffic!")
Cave Dwellers ("How much Keefe is in this movie?" "Miles O'Keefe.")
and of course, Manos: Hands of Fate ("I have such... a... Torg-over...")

P.S. , favorite pre-movie short, "Working!" which led into Manos... (Onscreen character: "The first thing Steve drilled in to me-" Crow: "Was Steve!")

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2009, 03:50 AM

My favorite short was "Young Man's Fancy."

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Oneota
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2009, 05:57 PM

Is that torrent still working? I'm getting errors when I try to download.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2009, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
MST3K Complete Torrent, 135 GB - it's part of an official Internet archive project; there are a lot of seeders of it now, and it's worth the wait and drive space for true fans.
Just so you know, it is in no way official. DAP has been working under the "Keep circulating the tapes" mantra that the creators support. DAP also STOPS distributing any episode that is available on DVD. The creators support trading copies of episodes that are impossible to obtain or view otherwise, but I am sure they don't want you pirating episodes you can go out and buy.

-Owl

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2009, 04:50 AM

Okay, official enough for me then, I suppose. I am not going to devote 135GB of drive space to an incomplete archive. I support the show and buy DVD releases I like; I think seeding that torrent helps keep interest in the show alive, too.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Ham Sandwich
Jan 7, 2009, 02:09 PM

The Rifftrax stuff is pretty funny and the shorts the put out are cheap (and not DRM'd).

I've tried a couple of their movie releases where you had to manually sync the movie with the soundtrack and that wasn't much fun. Tried ripping the movie and adding their soundtrack - that usually didn't end up too well. They have a player now just for Windows, I think, that will sync the track and the DVD you have in the computer. Not ideal but not bad. One of the better ones I saw (heard) was Neil Patrick Harris guest-riffing Willy Wonka.

I love MST3k. I love that there's references to some things I have to look up to get the joke. Makes you feel a little bit smarter for sitting in front of a horrible B movie for two hours.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2009, 04:42 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules