Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > running xp and autocad from external hard disk

running xp and autocad from external hard disk
tchoyster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2009, 12:14 AM

Im an engineering student and I really need to use programs such as autocad and staad and I cant find any compatible with a mac. I plan to use bootcamp so i can run these programs with xp but my laptop is a powerbook G4 and I read I need an intel-based computer to run bootcamp. Is there any way I can run these programs with my laptop?

I thought about running these programs and windows xp from an external hard disk connected to my laptop. is that possible? help..

really important. thnkx

ibook_steve
Jan 2, 2009, 03:29 AM

Welcome to our forums!

No, you need an Intel Mac to run Boot Camp. The only solution with your machine would be Virtual PC, if you can find it, and performance would be abysmal. If you must run these apps, your only choices are to buy a PC, buy an Intel Mac, or have a good friend who can loan you their machine.

Sorry.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Lord Kryn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2009, 11:53 PM

I'm currently on a G4 machine as well (about to get a new MacBook though ) and I have the same problem as you; most high-end applications nowadays are solely for the Intel or PowerPC chips.
A proud Kongregatian.

tchoyster  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2009, 07:03 AM

Even if I run boot xp from an external hard disk then run autocad from there? that's not possible? =(

QUOTE=ibook_steve;3782861]Welcome to our forums!

No, you need an Intel Mac to run Boot Camp. The only solution with your machine would be Virtual PC, if you can find it, and performance would be abysmal. If you must run these apps, your only choices are to buy a PC, buy an Intel Mac, or have a good friend who can loan you their machine.

Sorry.

Steve[/QUOTE]

ibook_steve
Jan 6, 2009, 03:54 PM

No. As I said, you simply can't run Boot Camp (Windows) with a G4 computer. You need an Intel Mac.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 6, 2009, 04:11 PM

1. You need an Intel Mac. No PowerPC series of processor is compatible with Windows - only exception might be NT4.
2. You CANNOT run XP from an external drive (without some mega hacking). It doesn't support the necessary drivers to boot from USB or Firewire. If you really want to run it from an external HDD and are prepared to start messing around with the innards of Windows - I'll try and track down the links.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 6, 2009, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
2. You CANNOT run XP from an external drive (without some mega hacking). It doesn't support the necessary drivers to boot from USB or Firewire. If you really want to run it from an external HDD and are prepared to start messing around with the innards of Windows - I'll try and track down the links.
A link to how to tinker with the appropriate guts of the appropriate Windows startup files was posted here sometime back in reference to booting off an external, USB-connected drive. I can't remember how far back it was. The process was both "involved" and "error-prone" in my eye. I would not try to do the hack myself, but if someone has already produced the modified files, I might use them to test this concept. I sure wouldn't depend on it to run anything critical.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules