Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > no sound on apple tv after using visual hub

no sound on apple tv after using visual hub
David2213
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2009, 02:41 AM

I used visual hub to convert a few movies to watch on my apple tv. I used the preset iTunes, Optimize for Apple TV 5.1. After converting and syncing i get no audio. I can watch them in itunes with full audio. Is there any reason why this is happening? Also when converting to Apple TV 5.1 vs. just Apple TV is becomes a .mov file instead of a .mp4 file. Could that have anything to do with it?

Thanks for your help!
2.2 i7 MacBook Pro 8GB Ram 1TB HD
16 GB iPhone 4
Apple TV 2 x3

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2009, 03:08 AM

I don't know about Visual Hub, I'm only using Handbrake.

Handbrake is best in show and free, so there's no reason to use a discontinued product like Visual Hub.

-t

Big-C
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2009, 11:59 AM

I use Visual Hub and haven't run into any problems. I use different presets though; I use the iphone setting, and for quality, tell it to "go nuts". These settings allow me to put my media wherever I want it, but movies still work perfectly with the apple tv. I know this isn't much help for your specific case - I'm just reporting that the software doesn't seem to have become unusable or broken lately.

Handbrake is great for DVD's, but what if you get your media elsewhere? I know handbrake will work when you have the two VIDEO_TS directory (and whatever the other one is), but I've never tried to convert an .avi using handbrake - is it possible?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2009, 02:42 PM

VisualHub is dead.

Handbrake supports most video formats as input as of about a month ago. Use the Apple TV preset and enjoy.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2009, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Big-C View Post
Handbrake is great for DVD's, but what if you get your media elsewhere? I know handbrake will work when you have the two VIDEO_TS directory (and whatever the other one is), but I've never tried to convert an .avi using handbrake - is it possible?
Yes, the latest version of HB can convert almost any input format, not only DVDs.

-t

Big-C
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2009, 03:35 PM

Wow - good to know. I'll have to make the switch seeing that VH is dead and handbrake development is on-going...

Thanks for the update.

David2213  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2009, 03:56 PM

does handbrake do 5.1 audio?
16 GB iPhone 4
Apple TV 2 x3

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2009, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by David2213 View Post
does handbrake do 5.1 audio?
Yes. I believe DTS 5.1 is converted to AAC Dolby Pro-Logic II. AC-3 is pass-thru.

Also, use MediaInfo Mac to find out exactly how your video/audio is encoded. That may help in figuring out what's up with the audio.

Edit: I just remembered that with the latest ATV update (2.2 I believe), Apple requires that any file with AC-3 audio must also include a second AAC audio track. The AppleTV preset in HandBrake will take care of this. Also note that when encoding with HandBrake, if there is no AC-3 audio in the source, it will still attempt to generate two audio tracks (both of them being AAC). Be sure to check the Audio & Subtitles tab and set the second audio track to None if they are both AAC.

David2213  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2009, 04:35 PM

Thanks!
16 GB iPhone 4
Apple TV 2 x3

Forum Links
Forum Rules