Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Tiger returns to Finder every 90 sec

Tiger returns to Finder every 90 sec
Eldberg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2009, 11:09 AM

My Mac behaves strangely. Every 90 seconds, the icons on the desktop vanish briefly, all Finder windows are closed, and the machine returns me to Finder, from whatever other software I'm working in.
I have looked in Automator but there are no workflows active. No user-defined or pre-installed AppleScripts have been activated by me. I am using OSX 10.4.11.
The strange behaviour started after I updated QuickTime to version 7.6.
Any ideas?

Eldberg

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2009, 11:34 AM

The Finder is crashing and re-launching.

Does this happen even after a reboot?

You're able to launch applications?

If something happened specifically during or after the install of QuickTime:
Do you have any video files sitting on the desktop or in one of the open windows? Do you have time to move them quickly into a folder before the Finder quits again?

If that helps - uninstall any and all weird third-party QuickTime video codecs and reinstall only the ones from perian.org and flip4mac.com

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2009, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Do you have any video files sitting on the desktop or in one of the open windows? Do you have time to move them quickly into a folder before the Finder quits again?
That behavior might include any other sort of fileā€¦ as S.H. says, move it to another folder or to the Trash.

SEWC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2009, 02:41 PM

Annoying, isn't it?

You probably have Stuffit installed.
Open System Prefs, under Other, click Stuffit AVR and turn it off. (Stuffit ArchiveViaRename Off is what you want)
I don't remember if you need to restart, but it doesn't hurt!

This happened to me when I did the QT update, and I found this answer in an Apple discussions board. Thank goodness it worked. About the most annoying thing ever.

Eldberg  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2009, 02:45 PM

Thanks for commenting on my problem.
Yes, it happens all the time, also after reboot.
I am able to launch applications and work normally, except for once every 90 seconds, when I get bounced back to Finder, and all Finder windows & menus close. Am not aware of any special codecs present on the computer, but then I don't really know where to look. Am not using QuickTime when this stuff happens. Have used Disc tool to check the harddisk, and Onyx to rebuild the launch service database. Have turned off VersionCue. This machine has almost no freeware/shareware programmes installed, and no such recently.

Perhaps I should try throwing out all QuickTime files?

Eldberg

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2009, 02:49 PM

See SEWC's spot - check your ~/Library/Contextual Menu Items folder and if you have anything in it related to Stuffit (or anything else, if you don't have Stuffit), move it out of the folder to e.g. the Desktop and reboot. If that solves the problem, then it was because of a conflict between a CMI and the Finder. This was a well known issue with Stuffit about a year or two ago.

SEWC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2009, 03:03 PM

Everyone on the Apple boards said it was a conflict between QT and Stuffit, as the older Stuffit doesn't mesh well with the new QT. You shouldn't have to dump QT.
Just like JKT says...

Eldberg  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2009, 03:09 PM

Thanks ever so much, SEWC! You solved the problem. I simply did what you said and turned off the Stuffit AVR rename function, and the problem is gone! If you're ever in Sweden, I'll buy you a drink.

BTW I also searched the Apple support forums but did not find this info.

Eldberg

SEWC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2009, 04:06 PM

I searched for "finder refresh" and found it somewhere! Hey, as long as you got it working.
Thanks for the drink offer, next time I'm in Sweden!
Now, if someone could help me get php to work in 10.5 I'd be thrilled. I'm about halfway there, but can't quite get it going. I was searching for "enable php" when I saw your post, and had to reply...

randomguy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2009, 10:42 PM

Stuffit solution nailed it for me, too. My MIL's (mother-in-law) mac had same problem. Thx SEWC!

Forum Links
Forum Rules