Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Serious iBook Problem--HELP, Please

Serious iBook Problem--HELP, Please
STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2001, 03:19 PM

I've been having a very odd problem with my new 500 MHz iBook for the past few weeks now and I just can't seem to figure it out. It's hard to describe, but I can kinda sum it up by saying that my machine is very reluctant to startup at times.

Keep in mind that this is all in OS X (10.0.4). I don't think I've had the problem in OS 9.1, but I could be wrong... I normally only have a problem when I've shut the machine down and am trying to start it back up again. I'll hear power run to the various internal components, then after about two seconds, I'll hear the HD "click" and all activity will cease (the machine is dead). After a few more tries of pressing the Power Button (which doesn't always work), I can usually get the machine up and running. And if there's a disc in the DVD drive (I've only really had it happen with DVDs in there since I don't use all that many CD-ROMs), I hear the machine spin up the disc and it almost seems to me that it's having trouble finding the startup disk. <shrugs> I typically have to manually remove the disc from the tray in order to get the machine up.

Now just recently, I've had it all of a sudden shut down (just go black) during use. That's more of what bothers me. I mean, all of it bothers me, but having the machine just crap out mid-use is REALLY uncool. I don't know if it's a software problem, a hardware problem, or a peripheral conflict problem. I think I've had this happen without any peripherals attached, but right now, I have an external FW HD, a USB optical mouse, a USB Lexmark Z48 printer, Ethernet, and audio out to a stereo. Anyway, this is really bugging this here "veteran troubleshooter," so if anybody has any thoughts (even just brainstorming stuff), please post here. Thanks a bunch.
Apple user since 1987

n1ce
Aug 22, 2001, 04:32 PM

Maybe you should try using OS9.1 exclusively for a couple of days to see if you still get the problem - if not then its gotta be 10.04, but if it does still do the same it may be time to get in touch with apple.

Loz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2001, 08:29 PM

My ibook DVD/CD-RW did exactly the same thing! I had had it for a while running with 256Mb RAM. One day i decided to upgrade to 384Mb. I changed the RAM at work and used it all day with the power plugged in and it was sweet!!! then when I got home and tried to get online it wouldn't start. Made the startup sounds and everything but the screen wouldn't come on, HDD clicked etc. so I freaked out, went back to work and put my old RAM back in it. It wasn't until the next day when a friend came in and said he had the same issue that I put two and two together. I put the 256 back in and sure enough it only booted when plugged into the power.

This is more than a bit strange but is true nonetheless. I'm sure you've tried it with power plugged in and am sure if you had changed RAM recently then would have checked that too. Other than that I am of no use.
Ignorance is not an excuse, it's the real thing!

Forum Links
Forum Rules