Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > I want to clean my keyboard? What tool do I need to unscrew the 3 screws?

I want to clean my keyboard? What tool do I need to unscrew the 3 screws?
louh
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2009, 10:00 AM

There are three screws in the back of my white Keyboard on my 2.66GHZ MacPro. I have a bunch of Torx wrenches and other computer tools where I thought would unscrew the 3 screws on the back of the keyboard so that I could remove the crud built up between the front keys and the transparent plastic. Can anyone tell me what I need to use to unscrew the three back screws so I can clean the stuff out.
Lou

cgc
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2009, 10:52 AM

I popped off all the keys with a wooden popsicle stick and cleaned everything from the front...looked almost new. Why do you need to clean the crud under the keyboard? I've had my MacPro for 2.5 years and today was the first time I looked under the KB (and I'm obsessive/compulsive).

louh  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2009, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
Why do you need to clean the crud under the keyboard?
The screws are on the bottom side. I have all this food crud which is below the front keys. I thought getting to the screws on the underneath would be the easiest way to get to the food that I can see in the front. If there is any crud on the bottom I'm not worried about that. I'll try propping off keys as you suggest if I can't get the plastic off. I thinks the screws coming off would be easier than popping the keys.
Thanks for the reply.
Lou

Forum Links
Forum Rules