Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Firefox Slow, Fans Speed Up

Firefox Slow, Fans Speed Up
hanguolaohu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2009, 11:21 AM

I've noticed recently that sometimes if I have over 10 tabs open in Firefox my fans speed up to 5000RPM. I check Activity Monitor and CPU for Firefox is at 100%. Even if I close all tabs except for one, fans will run high and CPU will remain 100% until I close Firefox. Besides this, opening the Application folder is pretty slow, takes 10 seconds to display. I've done repair disk permissions, but perhaps I should try Techtool Pro as well. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Alexander

Cold Warrior
Feb 27, 2009, 11:23 AM

Do you have Flash open in any of those tabs? What Mac do you have and what are its RAM and CPU specs?

hanguolaohu  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2009, 11:36 AM

Not really. Macbook Pro 2.6ghz Penryn, 4GB ram.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2009, 02:50 PM

What add-ons do you have installed?

brpinnc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2009, 06:24 PM

when i run ff same thing happens!!

hanguolaohu  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2009, 11:57 AM

I used Onyx and I think my system is snappier now. I also reinstalled Firefox and I think that helps. I have an add-on extension called "Look up in dictionary" and "Print-it!" which I hacked to work with Firefox 3 and beyond. For plug-in's I have Flip4Mac v2.1, Google Update 1 Click Deluxe Installer, Java Embedding v0.9.6.4, Quicktime v7.6, Shockwave Flash v9.0, Silverlight v2.0.3, and Speed Download.

Cold Warrior
Mar 1, 2009, 11:58 AM

If the problems return, disable your hacked extensions to remove variables that could impact performance.

hanguolaohu  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2009, 10:42 AM

It's a good point, but I can't live without Print It!, which basically allows you to print selection from within Firefox. It's such an important add-on I don't know why it hasn't been updated. On my PC, IE and Firefox had print selection built-in. Don't know why it's not with the Mac. Plus the print selection plug-in I use on Safari is not as convenient, and doesn't always format correctly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules