Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > virtual machine put in trash. can I put it back?

virtual machine put in trash. can I put it back?
hart
Senior User
Mar 24, 2009, 07:05 PM

ok, my son apparently deleted the entire 40GB of my virtual machine putting the following file in the trash:

Windows Vista.vmwarevm

I only can get a vague picture of what happened but apparently Windows froze, then asked if he wanted to suspend the machine (?) and then Fusion asked if he wanted to delete it which he did. Great. I usually keep my machine absolutely to myself but was making an exception for his friend and him to play Windows-only Maple Story. That'll larn me.

of course my backups were out of date, that's the rule about these things right?

I would like to put the thing back where it came from. I retrieved the file from the trash so it doesn't get lost completely but now what? I tried to put it in the system/library/application support/VMware Fusion folder but no go. Got "VMware cannot be modified" message. Oh well, it was just a guess.

Where does this folder go or alternatively can I retrieve the data or fix this somehow.

As usual, sorry if this has been discussed, is in the wrong folder, stupid question, bad grammar etc etc so please don't admonish me on any of those fronts. Just help me save my work.

Thank you!! (not panicking, not panicking . . . )

ibook_steve
Mar 24, 2009, 08:11 PM

In your Documents folder, there's a Virtual Machines folder. Put it in there.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

hart  (op)
Senior User
Mar 25, 2009, 01:30 PM

OK, I put it in my Documents/Virtual Machines folder (which was empty, so that makes sense) but when I start up Fusion it asks me if I want to create a new virtual machine rather than recognizing the existing file.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

hart  (op)
Senior User
Mar 25, 2009, 02:01 PM

I double clicked the virtual machine file itself and it opened up and is functioning so I'm set.

Now I just have to decide how much to torment my son about this and try to set him up his own machine in his own account nicely isolated from my work.

Once again thank you!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules