Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone 3G will not backup

iPhone 3G will not backup
zgall1
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2009, 08:19 PM

I am using an iPhone 3G running 2.2.1 and iTunes 8.1.1. When I try and backup my phone, the backup progress bar begins but hangs about 10% of the way through. When I cancel the backup, the sync continues as normal. If I try to backup only, the same problem occurs. Does anybody have any troubleshooting steps I can try?

ibook_steve
Apr 13, 2009, 02:19 PM

How long are you waiting before you cancel the backup? Maybe you just need to be patient.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

zgall1  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 13, 2009, 02:35 PM

I've waited at least 30 minutes without the progress bar moving.

ibook_steve
Apr 13, 2009, 03:51 PM

Hmm. Maybe you should start a new backup. Go to the iTunes preferences and under Device, delete the backup for your phone. Then do a fresh backup from scratch.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

zgall1  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 13, 2009, 07:08 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I deleted all of my old backups and attempted a new one. This time, the backup was about 40% finished (based on the progress bar - not sure if it is accurate) before hanging. After an hour without progress, I cancelled it. When I went to the list of backups, there was a backup called Unknown with a date of 12/31/00. I'm hoping someone has another suggestion since I am completely stumped.

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2009, 03:49 PM

It seems that you have a problematic application which is causing the back up to stall. Worst case: restore and start over, restoring applications in small amounts to find the problematic one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules