Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Cell phone ring tone?

Cell phone ring tone?
lexapro
Baninated
May 7, 2009, 09:18 PM

Hi folks. I am sorry if this is the wrong forum. Please move if this is the case.

I have an MP3 of the tones from the old show Emergency! I loved that show when I was a kid. I also have a cell phone. I would like to know how I can get the MP3 to become my ring for my phone.

I have an LG, Model# VX8350. I use Verizon. Any idea how I can do this?

Thanks!!!!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2009, 10:07 PM

From looking at the spec sheet, either hook it up via USB, and it should show up on the desktop, whence you can just copy over the mp3, or just send it over via Bluetooth File Exchange (in Utilities folder).

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 8, 2009, 12:51 AM

It's likely that Verizon blocks those features. My suggestion is to head over to howardforums.com and search for your phone - there's bound to be a lot of good information out there.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2009, 01:29 AM

Verizon likes to block this, so they can charge you for ringtones at $3 a pop. Motorola's phones sometimes can be hacked to remove their tampering (although this is likely to be harder in the future due to there not being any Alltel firmware to flash to anymore now that Verizon bought them ), but LG pretty much custom-makes their CDMA phones for Verizon and thus I think they often don't include these features in the first place, so you may be stuck.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

lexapro  (op)
Baninated
May 8, 2009, 01:43 AM

Amazing. It turns out I can email WMA or MP3 files to my phone using [email protected] and it works. I had no idea this was possible. It even has the option to set it as the ringtone from there.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2009, 02:18 AM

Verizon charges a bit each time you do that, I bet...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

starman
Clinically Insane
May 8, 2009, 07:55 AM

This is the reason why I took the hit to get out of my Verizon contract. Those bastards wouldn't allow me to do ANYTHING with my phone. *MY* phone. That's how I moved over to (then) Cingular which allowed me to do WHATEVER I wanted with *MY* phone.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2009, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Verizon charges a bit each time you do that, I bet...
Not if you have a texting plan. It just sees it as an MMS.

Anyhow, you can also do what I used to do before I had a texting plan - do a seem edit on your phone to enable file transfer, and use a USB cable.

I found it easiest to do this with Motorola phones, since they have a piece of software that lets you do everything pretty easily.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

ghporter
Administrator
May 8, 2009, 08:10 AM

That sounds like a great ringtone! (By the way, those tones are old analog/voice Motorola pager tones, followed by the station alarm. I have a combination of fond and hateful memories from handling maintenance of Moto pagers from that era...but I still love the sounds.)

Since you're on Verizon and they don't like you to be able to play with your phone, the Howard Forums suggestion is a very good one. Lots of people there have managed to do just about everything Verizon doesn't want you to do.

And as starman has said, AT&T (formerly Cingular) doesn't do that sort of limiting crap. Food for thought at your next contract renewal time.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Tee
Mac Enthusiast
May 10, 2009, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by lexapro View Post

I have an MP3 of the tones from the old show Emergency! .
Would you be willing to share those audio clips with us??

ps. Hulu.com has the first 4 season of the show online!

Cold Warrior
May 10, 2009, 12:02 PM

Amazing. It turns out I can email WMA or MP3 files to my phone using [email protected] and it works. I had no idea this was possible. It even has the option to set it as the ringtone from there.
Good to know. I'm going to try this with my Verizon phone later.

lexapro  (op)
Baninated
May 10, 2009, 01:56 PM

Tee
Mac Enthusiast
May 10, 2009, 02:35 PM

Very cool clips!
Thanks!

lexapro  (op)
Baninated
May 10, 2009, 03:09 PM

and yes, I have been watching them on Hulu. It's an amazing show.
I love Johnny!

Forum Links
Forum Rules