Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > windows, bootcamp & virtualPC...

windows, bootcamp & virtualPC...
kent m
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 2, 2009, 05:21 PM

Hi,

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this so bear with me if not...

I have VitualPC 7 with its copy of Windows XP pro.
Can I use this in conjunction with BootCamp? Is it necessary to?

When I fire up Bootcamp and run through the startup steps it doesn't recognized the virtualPC disks as windowws installers and I can't continue... is there a way around this? or better still a correct way to install windows off of the virtualPC disk so thats its properly compatible with bootcamp?

I'm a bit in the dark here, having been a mac guy forever, and I kind of feel like I'm walking on glass with windows (no pun intended). As I already own a copy of windows via the Virtual PC app I'd really hate to have to buy another copy.

Thanks very much for any help,
Kent M

- I have a new MacPro, 10.5.7, and have set aside a separate HD for the windows partition, 500GB...

kent m is not a member of any public groups

ibook_steve
Jun 2, 2009, 05:26 PM

Virtual PC does not work on Intel Macs, so no, you cannot use it. IIRC, VPC virtual machines were self contained installs. Though it may be possible to migrate a VPC virtual machine to Parallels or VMWare, I don't think you'll be able to use it for a full Windows install onto a Boot Camp partition. Boot Camp is turning the Mac into a PC, so it will only work with a standard Windows installation disk (XP SP2 or later).

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

kent m  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 2, 2009, 05:52 PM

Thanks for the info.

The next question I guess is what is the best option for buying a copy of windows that will install with bootcamp. (XP SP2 or later)

I guess i need the installer disks, so buying an online install is not an option (if available). Is ebay a viable solution?

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2009, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by kent m View Post
Thanks for the info.

The next question I guess is what is the best option for buying a copy of windows that will install with bootcamp. (XP SP2 or later)

I guess i need the installer disks, so buying an online install is not an option (if available). Is ebay a viable solution?
Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3 for System Builders - Operating Systems
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

kent m  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 3, 2009, 01:36 PM

thanks very much for the link.

is there a reason not to buy on ebay, other than the usual potential pitfalls? prices on the software seem to go for about half of what this would cost.... whats the story with all the copies of win up on ebay? are they installer packages that were shipped with machines and then not used?

ChrisF
Senior User
Jun 4, 2009, 10:48 AM

The installation code for the copy of Windows XP included in Virtual PC will work fine with a retail Windows XP disc. When I switched to Intel Macs, I used those codes for my Boot Camp setup without problems.

kent m  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 4, 2009, 01:02 PM

Ah, thats interesting.

So I need to borrow a copy of a friends installer disks for the boot camp install process and then input my own serial number from the virtual pc that I own?

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2009, 04:51 PM

Did your copy of VPC come with installation media?

If you use someone else's CDs, you need to make sure it's the retail copy. If your friend has a volume licensed copy, for instance, your serial likely won't work with the installation.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by kent m View Post
thanks very much for the link.

is there a reason not to buy on ebay, other than the usual potential pitfalls? prices on the software seem to go for about half of what this would cost.... whats the story with all the copies of win up on ebay? are they installer packages that were shipped with machines and then not used?
I'd stay away from eBay sellers of Windows, not because of any one specific event, but because of how poorly managed and controlled eBay sellers are. There is literally no telling how accurate a description of a Windows disc may be, nor the legal status of said disc. Buying an integrator's disc from Newegg, on the other hand, is both clearly legal and the buyer is protected by Newegg (they have quite a reputation to protect).

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

kent m  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 12, 2009, 06:27 PM

yes, its the full install. Bootcamp doesn't recognize the cds as proper installer disks though.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009, 08:35 PM

That must be because it's not a "regular" install disc. At least some versions of VPC had versions of Windows that couldn't be installed on a PC...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules