Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Has MacNN gained you any lasting friendships?

Has MacNN gained you any lasting friendships?
shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2009, 03:24 PM

I've made several friends through 'NN who have turned out to be really cool people. It's also taught me a lot more about the world outside the United States, since they all happen to be from different countries than my own.

Have you made any friendships as a result of meeting people on 'NN? Has anyone set up meetups through this forum before? I know other forums (xkcd, arsclan) have done meetups...arsclan's is pretty huge.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 25, 2009, 03:57 PM

I know Demonhood has arranged some meetups at MacWorld for several years.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2009, 04:02 PM

All I ever got from MacNN was herpes...

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2009, 04:08 PM

I post a lot on a Blues Hockey board and know a lot of those people in real life... but I quickly learned that it's best to keep online friendships online. A lot of those people turned out to be very odd... that said, I've been posting with that same group of people for more then a decade and it's been great. I've been here for a long time as well. Almost a decade... I think.

Honestly, at this point in my life I really don't need anymore friends. I don't have the time or energy to fully invest in the ones I already have.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2009, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
.Honestly, at this point in my life I really don't need anymore friends. I don't have the time or energy to fully invest in the ones I already have.
Very true. I have a fairly decent sized group of guy friends and I see some of them painfully infrequently.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2009, 04:27 PM

Too early to tell.

I have learned a lot here though. Got an Xbox because of people here, got a MacBook from a mod here, getting a Nikon D40 because of someone here. Still haven't solved my blasted printer problem though.

The MacNN tattoo comes later.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2009, 04:41 PM

There are a couple of people here that I already knew outside of MacNN, but none that I have met directly through it (not counting meeting someone from the marketplace when I picked up locally).

Are there even any other members here from Long Island?
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2009, 04:46 PM

Not yet.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2009, 04:47 PM

I'm not really sure about this question. I've never really thought about it. I've linked to some people from the forums on Last.fm, Twitter, and Facebook, and have had a friendly banter going back and forth for several years now.

I think the most valuable thing I've received from MacNN is the connection and interaction with people who are very different from the typical Southern/Christian types that I mostly hang around. Whether or not that makes us "friends," I can't say. I do consider most regulars here friendly acquaintances, and appreciate the general good will between the members here.

I have a decent number of acquaintances and friends in "real life," but a very small, very tight circle of close friends (about four of us now). It's hard enough working so often and trying to keep my marriage healthy and developing to spend time keeping up with a ton of friends.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2009, 04:49 PM

There's one friend with whom I communicate outside the forums, through email. A few friends who I consider friends by way of PM. Others whom I would characterize as allies. Have yet to meet any IRL.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2009, 04:52 PM

That's the question: is being connected to people and having consistent, friendly conversations with them enough to make them "friends?"

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2009, 04:57 PM

I think so. You can cultivate pretty strong relationships through the Internet. I wouldn't go so far as to say that Internet friends supersede IRL friends, and it's easy to get artificially close to someone via the Internet, since the constant blanket of anonymity makes it easier to be more open and confident than you might be out in public.

I'd classify my friends on the Internet as people who I talk to regularly, but more importantly, people who I'm connected to on a more personal level - through the give-and-take of advice, people who have been there for me during rough times (and vice-versa), etc.

I talk to plenty of people via the Internet - I only consider a few of them real friends (like, were I in their area of the globe, I'd actually try to get in touch with them and meet up with them for lunch or something).

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2009, 04:59 PM

If I was in Dakar's area of the globe I'd have a flaming bag of poo handy.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2009, 05:00 PM

WDLove

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2009, 05:04 PM

I rather think that if I dropped off the face of NN tomorrow, none of you would miss me. And since that's kind of an important part of friendship, I'm going to have to say "no".
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2009, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
I rather think that if I dropped off the face of NN tomorrow, none of you would miss me. And since that's kind of an important part of friendship, I'm going to have to say "no".
Oddly, none of the 'NNers I've become friends with frequent the lounge...

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 25, 2009, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Oddly, none of the 'NNers I've become friends with frequent the lounge...

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2009, 05:16 PM

ditto for me

iM@k
Senior User
Jun 25, 2009, 05:18 PM

Oh Doofy, I actually feel guilty shutting down my MacBook each night knowing I did say good bye to you properly each day.

If you ever left here, the mourning period would be years by all of us and we'd only be able to move on once the 30 ft. monument had been completed, to remind us all of the greatness that is Doofy.
What, me worry?

iM@k
Senior User
Jun 25, 2009, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
ditto for me
I'm sorry, who are you?
What, me worry?

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2009, 05:22 PM

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2009, 05:24 PM

gfys ^ (not ^^)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2009, 05:26 PM

I don't consider Laminar my friend because he isn't on my XBL friend list.

The invite is still there...

Big Mac
Clinically Insane

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
That's the question: is being connected to people and having consistent, friendly conversations with them enough to make them "friends?"
Yeah, I think so. When you converse with someone thoroughly enough online (one-to-one) to understand and appreciate that person on more than a general/superficial conversational level, I think there's no question that you become friends. Those of you who disagree don't appreciate that, but it's true.

Then I'm your friend Doof. Not to get sappy or nothin'.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Doofy
Clinically Insane

Originally Posted by iM@k View Post
Oh Doofy, I actually feel guilty shutting down my MacBook each night knowing I did say good bye to you properly each day.

If you ever left here, the mourning period would be years by all of us and we'd only be able to move on once the 30 ft. monument had been completed, to remind us all of the greatness that is Doofy.
Only 30 foot? See. I told ya. You ungrateful barstewards.

I see this place as more like a pub/bar filled with strangers. You walk in alone and chat to whoever's there. After some time, you become a regular and you see the same old folks sitting in the same old place. But once you leave the pub, they don't exist. Of course, the NN is actually better than a pub 'coz the drinks are cheaper, dress code is optional and there's a whole heap of people who know a whole heap about almost everything.

We know a song about this, don't we children?
YouTube - Sisters of Mercy - When You Don't See Me

(Of course, my viewpoint may be tainted by the land of my upbringing. As GBS once said, "It is impossible for an Englishman to open his mouth without making some other Englishman hate or despise him".)
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2009, 05:29 PM

I see it more like an opium den.

Internet addicts chasing the dragon.

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2009, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I don't consider Laminar my friend because he isn't on my XBL friend list.

The invite is still there...
I'm still trying to convince my fiancée to let me add a 360 to our registry at Target. She's resistant.

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2009, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I see it more like an opium den.

Internet addicts chasing the dragon.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2009, 05:38 PM

I see this place as more like a pub/bar filled with strangers. You walk in alone and chat to whoever's there. After some time, you become a regular and you see the same old folks sitting in the same old place. But once you leave the pub, they don't exist. Of course, the NN is actually better than a pub 'coz the drinks are cheaper, dress code is optional and there's a whole heap of people who know a whole heap about almost everything.

Perfect analogy.

-t

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2009, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
allies
Wait, is MacNN at war?

Dammit guys, why am I always the last to know?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2009, 05:45 PM

Is alienating people the same as forming relationships? I don't think I can list all the people that find me annoying.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2009, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post

Perfect analogy.

-t
Seconded.

MacNN--the Lounge anyways--is a great place to hang out "where everyone knows your name", predilections, and quirks. You can come in, shoot the breeze about some random topic, enjoy some humorous interaction, and learn something new. And you can do it all while sitting in your underwear.

<edited to add>
I am convinced that in 20 or 30 years the youngsters will be doing the same thing (hanging out, laughing, joking, arguing) but via VR headsets or some sort of brain implant. They'll all be sitting in front of their computers but mentally will think they are in one physical place together with their online acquaintances. Sort of like a ST: TNG holodeck except everyone will be connected virtually. I see the future MacNN Lounge full of endless bickering about the decor of the virtual space in which Lounge members gather and congregate.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2009, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I'm still trying to convince my fiancée to let me add a 360 to our registry at Target. She's resistant.
Sweeten the deal by adding Lips, then she and Dakar can duet online together.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2009, 05:55 PM

*brain frantically think of most offensive duet possible*

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2009, 06:08 PM

Nah, get a PS3. Explain to her that you guys can watch Blu-ray discs on it.

I need friends.

Railroader
Banned
Jun 25, 2009, 06:28 PM

I need friends.
That's how I sold my wife on ours. She loved the picture of the HD-DVD player, and when that went the way of the Dodo she was open to filling the void. I am serious.

BTW: I wish I was on the PS3 more my PS3 friend. Summers are crazy in this house.

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2009, 06:29 PM

There are other Northern Irish members at 'NN?

Announce yourselves.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2009, 08:04 PM

There are a couple 'NNers that I would consider real friends, not counting the friends I knew before they joined, of course (though none of them really seem to participate much...), though I've only actually met one of them in person. I guess I'm with Doof in seeing this as a sort of virtual pub, the difference being that I've also got a few good friends that I met at pubs!

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2009, 08:05 PM

Also, I can hardly imagine a Doof-less MacNN! Would be like a gaping wound in the Internet.

Rumor
Jun 25, 2009, 08:15 PM

I'm friends with Dakar's mom.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2009, 08:15 PM

i have met a few from here IRL; but not to the point i do things with them on a regular basis.

i have several friends from the haven days from the early 90s (did anyone here talk on havens?) i still see and hang out with on a very regular basis; scattered in various states. in fact, i'm now dating the older sister of a guy i started talking to back around '94 (and have been a real life friend of his since then).

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2009, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Have you made any friendships as a result of meeting people on 'NN? Has anyone set up meetups through this forum before? I know other forums (xkcd, arsclan) have done meetups...arsclan's is pretty huge.
Yep. Even met a few IRL

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2009, 09:53 PM

besson3c keeps stalking me while tossing bottles of ointment as if they were grenades. Does that count?

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2009, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
*brain frantically think of most offensive duet possible*
You could try an Arrested Development-esque Afternoon Delight.

I need friends.
I already own a few 360 games, though. Just no console.

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
I'm friends with Dakar's mom.
With benefits?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2009, 10:37 PM

MacNN has gained me:

1. Great conversations
2. Annoying conversations
3. Great variety of viewpoints to think about
4. Incredible doses of hilarity; I sometimes still laugh at the classic zigzag response to full-coverage condoms
5. Great insight into the remarkable human ability to see only what one is determined to see

....but, no friendships, and no relationship at all with Dakar's mom. To be honest some of you seem pretty cool, but I'm in complete agreement with Doofy's analysis.

greg
( Last edited by ShortcutToMoncton; Jun 25, 2009 at 10:52 PM. )
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2009, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
4. Intarweb titties
I was waiting for that one.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 26, 2009, 12:22 AM

I always thought that *somebody* from the forum would be taking a cruise to Alaska, or just an individual journey and would say "Hey AKcrab. I'll be in Anchorage in July, want to meet for a beer?"

Hasn't happened yet.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2009, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
BTW: I wish I was on the PS3 more my PS3 friend. Summers are crazy in this house.
Ha...I know...

I saw you log in for like 5 minutes a few weeks ago, and then immediately log off. You've been MIA.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2009, 01:46 AM

I already own a few 360 games, though. Just no console.
Sell them to Gamestop. They'll give you a whopping $5 per game and then sell them for $50. FANTASTIC DEAL!!!

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2009, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
I always thought that *somebody* from the forum would be taking a cruise to Alaska, or just an individual journey and would say "Hey AKcrab. I'll be in Anchorage in July, want to meet for a beer?"

Hasn't happened yet.
i did that after 9/11. great cruise and vacation deals. spent over 3 weeks in alaska. won't be back for awhile though

Forum Links
Forum Rules