Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Buy 256 MB Now or Wait for 512 MB?

Buy 256 MB Now or Wait for 512 MB?
STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2001, 08:32 PM

Howdy, guys. I need some RAM buying advice. I'm stuck between waiting for the properly-sized 512 MB chips and buying a 256 MB chip now. I'm talking about a 128 MB dual USB iBook DVD here. Anyway, I was originally planning on maxing out the RAM capacity ASAP, but it's starting to look like that will take some time and disproportionately more $$ per MB than just getting a 256 MB chip. What's the ETA and est. price on the proper 512 chips anyway? Right now, OS X lags like hell (I can't even stand to use it) and even 9.1 lags because I can't have more than about three apps running at the same time. What should I do?
Apple user since 1987

<OhMan>
Jul 5, 2001, 08:44 PM

Unless you're terribly short on cash, go and buy the 256 today. I got one from coastmemory.com for 57$ two weeks ago, works fine. Give it or sell it when proper 512 chips come out. Besides, 384 megs of RAM is quite enough for now, even with OS X.

maclove
Jul 5, 2001, 10:10 PM

256 chips are cheap get them while there hot or else the price goes up for some dumb reason....

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2001, 10:16 PM

Does anyone know if Pismo RAM will work in the new iBooks? I just found a 512MB chip for the Pismo for $109... that's practically what 256MB chips were a month or two ago!
I'd say get the 256 myself... I think that's what I'll do, unless Pismo RAM works in a new iBook.

Crombie914
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2001, 10:21 PM

STAT, it all depends on why you want to max out the ram. I put a 256 chip in my keylime and I don't have any problems. I have tried to lock it up a lot of times but it seems to keep it going. At one time I had Virtual PC, AIM, Internet Explorer and iTunes and it ran wonderfuly. If u are a developer I would say wait for the 512 chip and I would get it no matter how much it is.

John
-------------
An Apple a Day Keeps Me Happy

Milo Waye
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2001, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by STAT:
<STRONG>Howdy, guys. I need some RAM buying advice. I'm stuck between waiting for the properly-sized 512 MB chips and buying a 256 MB chip now. ...Right now, OS X lags like hell (I can't even stand to use it) and even 9.1 lags because I can't have more than about three apps running at the same time. What should I do?</STRONG>
Get 256 MB now. It makes a big diff over the stock 128 in OS X. It could be a long wait for the 512 RAM.

STAT  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2001, 02:43 AM

Thanks a lot, guys. I just ordered a 256 MB chip from coastmemory.com for $49.
Apple user since 1987

grimley
Jul 6, 2001, 12:22 PM

STAT:

What is the URL for this $49 deal? I looked and it said $103.... Thanks.

Carl Norum
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2001, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by grimley:
STAT:
What is the URL for this $49 deal? I looked and it said $103.... Thanks.
I buy from 1-800-4MEMORY (aka coast memory), as well. Call them (give you one guess what the number is) and they will ask you what your price is. =) They guarantee to beat any price on www.ramseeker.com... right now, they're the lowest anyway at $49. Their web-page is not updated as often as Ramseeker is. Give it a try.

<OhMan>
Jul 6, 2001, 01:14 PM

The only thing is, the 256 chip they are selling is *a little* thick. I really needed to push firmly to get it in, and the little "arms" on each side don't clamp on the chip completely. But it stays in place without problem.

Carl Norum
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2001, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by &lt;OhMan&gt;:
<STRONG>The only thing is, the 256 chip they are selling is *a little* thick. I really needed to push firmly to get it in, and the little "arms" on each side don't clamp on the chip completely. But it stays in place without problem.</STRONG>
I have 384 MB in my iBook combo with the 256 MB chip that I got from them. I certainly did not have any problems. They guarantee that it works, anyway, so it's not like you can really screw yourself.

STAT  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2001, 01:24 PM

Well SOB. I didn't know this would be a lower-quality (thicker) chip. I'm gonna be pissed if it doesn't fit just right.
Apple user since 1987

Crombie914
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2001, 12:30 PM

I got my chip from coast to coast and I had the same problem. At first I was in a hurry to get it in becasue I had to leave for work but I set it down and then came back to it and I had to wiggle it a hole lot before it finnaly snapped in. Don't be afraid to push it is somewhat hard.

John
------------

STAT  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 7, 2001, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by Crombie914:
<STRONG>I got my chip from coast to coast and I had the same problem. At first I was in a hurry to get it in becasue I had to leave for work but I set it down and then came back to it and I had to wiggle it a hole lot before it finnaly snapped in. Don't be afraid to push it is somewhat hard.

John
------------
An Apple a Day Keeps Me Happy</STRONG>
Yeah, RAM is often quite tight-fitting, especially in portables. It's just all so small and expensive, we're afraid of breaking it. I guess we've got to learn to, "Install like we mean it."

But Crombie... Once you used a little careful strength and pushed it in, did it seat completely, or where there some permanent seating problems (such as some "clips" not locking it in all the way or something) as a couple other people have reported? Thanks.
Apple user since 1987

fletch521
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 7, 2001, 08:42 PM

I just got 256 from Other World Computing for $58.50. I selected UPS ground because it was the cheapest @ $5.18 and they shipped it Next Day "Airborne" for that price.

Now is there anyone that could direct me to a tutorial on how to install it in the new iBook?

Fletch

[ 07-07-2001: Message edited by: fletch521 ]
MacBook Air, 2.13GHz, 128GB solid-state drive
24-inch Apple LED Cinema Display
iPhone 4

Crombie914
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2001, 06:30 PM

Once I got it in it sat perfectly and I could hear both of the clips click. I haven't had any problems yet and I hope I never will

John
---------

Korv
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2001, 09:05 PM

While waiting for the proper 512MB cards, I just got a cheap ole 128MB card. Not a lot of dough up front, and I have sifficient RAM to run until I can max out.

iShaggy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2001, 12:53 PM

Hi, I just got my new ibook and i have a question about ram.. how many ram slots do iBook have ? I'm assuming it comes with three slots since ibook reach up to 640mb ram (128 + 256 + 256)
pls let me know
thanks,
ishaggy
My Awsome Computer = MAC

STAT  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 9, 2001, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by iShaggy:
<STRONG>Hi, I just got my new ibook and i have a question about ram.. how many ram slots do iBook have ? I'm assuming it comes with three slots since ibook reach up to 640mb ram (128 + 256 + 256)
pls let me know
thanks,
ishaggy</STRONG>
Negative. One slot. Base amount of RAM (usually 128 MB) is soldered onto the logic board and then there's an empty slot where you can put in a chip as large as 512 MB (hopefully). Did you by any chance notice the name of this topic and/or read the first post?
Apple user since 1987

Forum Links
Forum Rules