Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > A Great Great Grandmother at only 67?

A Great Great Grandmother at only 67?
wallinbl
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2007, 04:16 PM

Foreclosure fallout: Renters forced out of lost homes - CNN.com

The article is about something else entirely, but you'd have to have a kid at 16 (average) for four straight generations in order to pull this off. I guess it runs in the family or something?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2007, 05:44 PM

a friend at work was a grandmother at 29. She was 15 when she had her daughter, and she had a kid when she was 14.
45/47

ajprice
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2007, 07:02 PM

You can tell a classy area when the card shop stocks "Happy 30th Birthday, Grandma" cards..

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 2007, 07:31 PM

If everyone had a child at 16, someone could be a grandmother by 48 years old. Working CPS, I've seen some great grandmothers in their 50s.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 30, 2007, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by placebo1969 View Post
If everyone had a child at 16, someone could be a grandmother by 48 years old. Working CPS, I've seen some great grandmothers in their 50s.
I'm assuming that CPS stands for Child Protective Services, like it does here in Texas?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2007, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
a friend at work was a grandmother at 29. She was 15 when she had her daughter, and she had a kid when she was 14.
There is so much wrong with this it's not even funny.

You'd think a woman who got preggo at 15 would have enough life experience from that to teach her kid to, you know, use condoms.

...Or to not have sex when she's fourteen, for crying out loud!
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2007, 08:47 PM

You'd think. But god bless America and its urge to stay ignorant for many many generations!

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 1, 2007, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I'm assuming that CPS stands for Child Protective Services, like it does here in Texas?
Yep. Nothing sexier than a 30 something grandma.

zro
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2007, 01:29 AM

Yes, we all know every kids every choice is entirely up to the parents because we also all know that teenagers have never had minds and attitudes of their own. Ever.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 1, 2007, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by placebo1969 View Post
Yep. Nothing sexier than a 30 something grandma.
You BET! That lovely lack of teeth is a great guy-getter!

One of the worst parts of this equation is that extremely young women tend to have low-birthweight babies. That equates to high incidence of mental retardation, cerebral palsey, and all sorts of other problems, all of which mean that the kid pays for his whole life for mom getting laid as a teenager. And typically mom doesn't have any healthcare, so she doesn't get prenatal care and the baby is even more at risk because of that.

My wife is a nurse in a local Neonatal Intensive Care unit. Babies come to her with birth weights of barely over a pound. Their underdeveloped brains tend to bleed, causing CP and mental retardation. These babies wind up with lifelong, exceptionally severe handicaps. When I finish my MS in 2009, I'll be an occupational therapist, and I'll spend a lot of time treating this sort of kid. It breaks your heart when you know that a large number of these kids' problems didn't have to be, but that their mothers were more interested in .... well you know. Yes, I'm angry about it.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2007, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
You'd think. But god bless America and its urge to stay ignorant for many many generations!
Haha, so true.

-t

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2007, 06:41 AM

G.I.L.F.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 2, 2007, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
Cause xenophobic comments like that above are smart and intelligent.

"A league table of teenage births in rich nations, a report compiled by Unicef's Innocenti research centre in Florence, Italy, says the United Kingdom's rate is alarmingly high and blames the British culture of secrecy and embarrassment over sex.... Only 50% of 16 year olds in the United Kingdom use contraception during their first sexual experience, and 25% believe the pill protects against sexually transmitted infections. This may partly explain the rise in gonorrhoea rates, up by 45% between 1995 and 1997.

I am sure it's the USs fault. They are just trying to copy us.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 2, 2007, 09:56 AM

Kevin, that's a harsh way to put it, but it's true. We in the States are almost as secretive (publicly, anyway) about sex as our friends in the UK, and it hurts everyone. Having no way to force anyone to learn about their bodies or how they work makes things very difficult-how can you tell a young woman (of 14) how to protect her health if her parents don't allow you to and don't bother to tell her anything either?

Cipher13
Dec 2, 2007, 12:03 PM

Stupid bitches.

That's it, life over. Done.

Sucks to be them.

quesera
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 2, 2007, 01:04 PM

As a teacher, I see the results of young parents who often lack parenting skills, common sense, and the maturity necessary to raise a child. I don't like to judge a book by the cover, but the old fashioned part of me (I'm relatively young) says that when mama seems more interested in her tattoos, tongue piercings, and boyfriend than in her child's education, she is likely not fulfilling her parental obligations. Of course, young fathers are often in jail, playing video games, or otherwise being criminal or deadbeat. I saw a statistic somewhere that said many of our youngest mothers (<15 or so) were impregnated by men in their 20s. All that doom and gloom notwithstanding, we do have many amazing parents, some who have worked hard to overcome their youth and economic situations.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 2, 2007, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Kevin, that's a harsh way to put it, but it's true. We in the States are almost as secretive (publicly, anyway) about sex as our friends in the UK, and it hurts everyone. Having no way to force anyone to learn about their bodies or how they work makes things very difficult-how can you tell a young woman (of 14) how to protect her health if her parents don't allow you to and don't bother to tell her anything either?
I don't know about you guys. But when I was in the 6th grade we all got taught how people get pregnant. What causes pregnancy, and a list of misconceptions as to what would and wouldn't get a girl pregnant. It was a lame reel to reel. This was back in the 80s. I somehow doubt such education has gotten WORSE as the years have went down the line. As a matter of fact, I know better. I saw the literature my significant other's 13 year old daughter got when she was 12. So if a kid is not in the know about such things, it's usually their fault of their own, or dumb girls believing guy lies that have been going on for centuries.

Also abortion is more taboo here than a lot of other countries. A lot of the pregnancies account for that as well.

The Incidence of Abortion Worldwide

So I would say the amount of girls getting pregnant is about the same. America just has more teenage mothers.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 2, 2007, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by quesera View Post
As a teacher, I see the results of young parents who often lack parenting skills, common sense, and the maturity necessary to raise a child. I don't like to judge a book by the cover, but the old fashioned part of me (I'm relatively young) says that when mama seems more interested in her tattoos, tongue piercings, and boyfriend than in her child's education, she is likely not fulfilling her parental obligations. Of course, young fathers are often in jail, playing video games, or otherwise being criminal or deadbeat. I saw a statistic somewhere that said many of our youngest mothers (<15 or so) were impregnated by men in their 20s. All that doom and gloom notwithstanding, we do have many amazing parents, some who have worked hard to overcome their youth and economic situations.
When I was in school we had 1, maybe 2 girls that had gotten pregnant. This was in High School. Now it's a common thing it seems.

What we should be doing is finding out what cultural change in our society brought this out and started this trend. And reverse it.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2007, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by zro View Post
Yes, we all know every kids every choice is entirely up to the parents because we also all know that teenagers have never had minds and attitudes of their own. Ever.
That's not what I said.

It's certainly the parents' responsibility to educate their children that (a) sex at a young age is a bad idea, and that (b) if you're going to be dumb enough to do it, at least wear a freakin' condom so you don't get preggo or contract VD.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

noodlestoo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2008, 11:51 PM

My mother is a great great grandmother at 66. I wonder if she is the youngest great great grandmother in the US. the grandmother is 32, great grandmother is 48.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2008, 11:56 PM

Wow, if that's true, that's really not something to be proud of.

-t

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2008, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by l008com View Post
G.l.L.F.
G.G.l.L.F

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Rumor
Jul 6, 2008, 03:31 AM

I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2008, 09:35 AM

That's a good family to know the youngest with if you're in high school, or wait till the youngest is 18. Have a 3some with the youngest(18), the mom(34), and the G'milf(52...IF she's still hot). You know they're down for the freaky if they......nm, just thinking out loud.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2008, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Luca Rescigno View Post
G.G.l.L.F
According to Metalocalypse, a GMILF is a grandmother I'd like to ...
so if you continue, it would be a GGMILF, still have to have the mother in there, for cultural and humourous purposes.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2008, 02:49 PM

Unless G.G. is Great Grannie

-t

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2008, 07:53 PM

I was in central Illinois last week and the waitress was proud to tell us that all four of her kids had the same daddy. She wasn't married to him. She was 22.

We didn't have the heart to tell her that his other 3 girlfriends all said the same thing.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2008, 08:02 PM

dwsmustang
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2009, 10:32 PM

I just found out that I am going to be a great grandma at 53. WOOHOO! My Mom is 67.

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2009, 07:57 AM

I'm 17 and have no children. I'm so special now!

Forum Links
Forum Rules