Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Need help disengaging cloaking device

Need help disengaging cloaking device (Page 2)
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2009, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I'm still trying to figure out how anyone would not know enough about Tolkien to know that his work was never a "Sci Fi" series...
The first comma makes it sound like he thought you were talking about THREE different languages:
Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
Is Tolkien's, Sindarin and Quenya from a different Sci Fi series?
And in fact, if one had no idea, one could get that impression from your post:
Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
The Klingon language is interesting and well thought out, and while it doesn't have the years of development that any of Tolkien's languages do, it does have a lot more people behind inventing it. And there are indeed people who speek both Sindarin and Quenya.
Klingon, Tolkien, Sindarin and Quenya.

I certainly wouldn't have pegged Sindarin and Quenya as two Elvish languages from Tolkien's universe, so I can kind of see where he's coming from.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 7, 2009, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I certainly wouldn't have pegged Sindarin and Quenya as two Elvish languages from Tolkien's universe, so I can kind of see where he's coming from.
I see your point. Hmmmm. I think that I had better not start studying any new languages until I get better at English.

For the record then, I had meant that just as there are Star Trek fans who learn to speak Klingon, there are Tolkien fans who learn to speak the two different Elvish languages. These two Elvish languages are called Sindarin and Quenya.

Did I get the commas straight that time? Whew! At least I didn't throw in a few semicolons!
( Last edited by ghporter; Jul 7, 2009 at 04:21 PM. )

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules