Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Migrating from Tiger to Snow Leopard

Migrating from Tiger to Snow Leopard
voicebox
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 23, 2009, 08:50 PM

Hi there,
I need a favour!
A friend has asked me to set up his new 27" iMac for him. I will have to migrate his Home folder files and settings - I have done this before on various Macs, but only when both machines have been using the same OS - Tiger to Tiger, Leopard to Leopard etc.
However, this time I will be migrating my pal's stuff from his three year old Mac Mini PPC running Tiger 10.4.8 to his new Intel iMac running 10.6 Snow Leopard .... Of course I understand about PPC apps not working with Intel - unless they are Universal of course but is there anyone who might be able to give me a heads-up on what I can or cannot do - I would hate to lose all his 'Sibelius' (Sibelius 5) music files .....
As usual I thank you all in advance for any help.
Best
voicebox
"If you don't like the heat, don't go in the kitchen!"
17" Core2duo MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 4Gb/160HD Snow Leopard 10.6.8 || 15" PowerBook 1Gz 1Gb/120 HD Tiger 10.4.11|| 24" iMac 3.06Gz 4Gb/2TB HD Yosemite10.10.2

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2009, 09:17 PM

If you’re going to use Migration Assistant and hook up the 2 computers via FireWire, it really shouldn’t matter that the OSes are different. And the PPC Apps thing should be a non-issue. Intel Macs run non-Universal PPC binaries through Rosetta. Of course, there may be specific apps that don’t work well with Intel or Snow Leopard, and you or he should do search the web a bit re: the ones that are particularly important to him (though if he’s definitely getting the iMac, there’s not much he can do; it’ll only run Snow Leopard). There were a few sites maintaining lists of Snow Leopard compatibility problems when it came out. I’m sure some of them are still active.

Also, it’d make sense if before doing the transfer, you boot the mini and check for updates to the most important apps. A lot of developers put out small compatibility fixes right before SL came out. It’d be easier to already have your apps Snow-Leopard-compatible on the old computer before migrating.

Good luck!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 24, 2009, 05:38 AM

Go ahead and use MA. The SL installer and MA are pretty smart. MA will work even with Tiger PPC. The new Intel system files and Apple's apps will replace the older PPC versions automatically (MA knows what not to migrate). Once it's done make sure to replace PPC versions of third-party apps with Intel or UB versions if available. Make sure to keep the old disk (or a clone of it) around in case you later notice something's missing. That way you'll always be able to access old stuff. Even in the very worst case, if MA were to totally screw up, you have nothing to worry about as long as you keep the original disk or a clone around. You could always start over again and migrate manually. But in 99% of all cases that's not necessary.

If you run into trouble let us know. But most likely you'll be just fine.

voicebox  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 24, 2009, 06:39 AM

Hi Simon and slugslugslug
Thank you both for your excellent advice.
Apart from being an art historian, my pal is also a composer and I get the impression that all he is worried about are his music files (he composes string quartets and is in the process of composing an opera!) I understand that Sibelius5 has had a few issues with Snow Leopard which now seem to be fixed, although I will be booting up his Mac Mini in order to check for any upgrades before I use MA. On the other hand I may have to persuade him to upgrade to Sibelius6!

I must add that he doesn't even know what OS he has installed on the M/Mini ....his eyes glazed over when I asked certain probing questions!
Although I suppose I could simply drag his stuff from his Home Folder on the Mac Mini to the new iMac - providing of course he has backed up his present system to an external HD, if not I suppose I will have to do it for him...!!
Thanks again
John.
17" Core2duo MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 4Gb/160HD Snow Leopard 10.6.8 || 15" PowerBook 1Gz 1Gb/120 HD Tiger 10.4.11|| 24" iMac 3.06Gz 4Gb/2TB HD Yosemite10.10.2

voicebox  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 26, 2009, 07:09 PM

Update!
I just thought you would like to know chaps that after a successful set-up of my pal's iMac (see above) I started to load Office 2008 for him and it was then that I discovered that the Optical Drive was ******!
I tried other DVD's - same problem, so I reported it to Apple Care and after resetting the PRAM .... it was still making 'clunking' noises ... DVD jammed - "Let's not try for a fix" the techie said, "After all, it's a brand new machine" he said ...so we take the machine back to the Apple Store tomorrow morning for a replacement ... One of those things I suppose - it could happen to anyone ...BUT WHY ME?!!!
So much for quality control boys and girls - maybe, just maybe it was assembled on a Friday!
I felt I should just share this with you!
John.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2009, 07:20 PM

back up first!

voicebox  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 26, 2009, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
back up first!
Hi moonmonkey,
Did all that - done an dusted, all on an external HD, no worries - but thank you for your concern!
I was merely commenting on the apparent frailty of a brand new iMac!
Best,
John

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2009, 04:42 AM

Bummer. Bad luck. It just happens sometimes. Good luck getting a replacement quickly.

voicebox  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2009, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Bummer. Bad luck. It just happens sometimes. Good luck getting a replacement quickly.
Hi Simon,
I took the iMac back to the White City Apple Store here in London yesterday morning and they exchanged it for a new one immediately - no problems whatsoever. My pal is delighted with the service and his new iMac - I just hope the screen does not develop the 'Yellow tinge fever' that quite a few other new iMac's seem to be suffering from....!
See below:
Apple - Support - Discussions - Yellow tinge from bottom to top of the ...

best
John

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2009, 12:29 PM

Glad to hear it worked out well for you!

Forum Links
Forum Rules