Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Can't install Snow Leopard

Can't install Snow Leopard
axe1509
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2009, 01:19 PM

I've searched all around but can't find someone that has had the problems I have had. I have a older white macbook that's still doing just fine, but I can't put snow leopard on. I'll put it in the cd drive and start the install and once it gets to the reboot part it can't get past it. I'll have to turn it off and turn it back on to just boot it into the regular os. I've waited hours just to see if I was being impatient, but no go. I've also used an external cd drive and that did the same thing. After the fail attempt every time it turns on it has the folder with the question mark on it before the apple comes up. No other problems that i've run into though. I took it to the apple store and had them check it out and they said my hard drive failed even though it was practically new. So they replaced it for free even though it's waaaaay out of warranty, and once I got it back the same thing happened. I've also tried just booting from the cd and that didn't work out.
I'm not really in need of it so it's not that huge of a deal but I even tried doing everything from scratch and put in my factory disks and leopard disks and same thing happened.
Ugh, anyone have any clue what this could be, am I missing something simple???

bobpalmer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2009, 05:19 AM

You have an older machine. Is the processor Intel or PowerPC? Snow Leopard only runs on Intel processors.
MacPro 2x 2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Power Mac 4x 2.5GHz G5 (SETI #1 RAC May 4, 2006)
Power Mac 2x 1GHz G4

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2009, 06:09 AM

There are no PowerPC MacBooks.

The PowerPC machines were called iBook and PowerBook.

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 5, 2009, 11:10 AM

Other than booting by holding the 'C', did you also try it with (just) the option key down?
-HI-

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 5, 2009, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by axe1509 View Post
I've also tried just booting from the cd and that didn't work out.
What exactly “didn’t work out”? Did it fail to boot from the disc? Did it boot from the disc but fail to install? At what point did it fail? etc. More specificity would be helpful.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

64stang06
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2009, 05:50 PM

Do you need to update the firmware?

MacBook EFI Firmware Update 1.2
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules