Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mail switching languages/characters?

Mail switching languages/characters?
Buck_W
Senior User
Jan 5, 2010, 11:08 AM

When I receive an email reply from a particular friend of mine, the text in the email is what appears to be mostly Asian characters and wingdings. He is a business colleague and we have emailed back and forth for years without any problems. This has just started, but it's happened a couple of times.

The initial email he receives from me is normal, but when he replies to it, what I receive from him is completely garbled. He said the same problem happened to him one time with someone else months ago.

Does anybody have any idea what could be causing it, or what we can do to troubleshoot it? How would we determine whether the cause is on his end or mine?
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2010, 11:16 AM

His text encoding is probably incorrectly set.

Buck_W  (op)
Senior User
Jan 5, 2010, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
His text encoding is probably incorrectly set.
Perhaps, but I failed to mention that he corresponds with many other people via email but I am the only person this is happening to.
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules