Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > 2 time capsule backups

2 time capsule backups
mkral
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 31, 2010, 05:45 PM

I have a 500 gb time capsule. I have 2 macs that backup to it (a macbook pro & mac mini). I was looking at the contents of the time capsule today & notice that I have 2 backups titles "MacMini_xxxxxxxxx.sparsebundle, with the xxx's representing different combinations of numbers and letters for each copy. The first one says it was created on 2.5.09, modified on 2.5.09 & last opened on 2.5.09. The second one says it was created on 6.28.09 & last opened & last modified today. 2.5.09 was the day that I got the time capsule. I am wondering if somehow I made two copies of the backup on accident. Does anyone know if it would be ok to delete the one that does not appear to have been used since last year? If I need to keep it I will, I'd hate to have my HD crash & find out that I have deleted a file necessary to restore the computer. On the other hand, the file is 80 gigs and it would be nice to free up that space on the backup drive, if I am not going to need the file.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2010, 08:43 PM

Did you have the mini first? What's the machine name of the MBP? Is there another backup sparsebundle for the MBP?

mkral  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 31, 2010, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Did you have the mini first? What's the machine name of the MBP? Is there another backup sparsebundle for the MBP?
Sorry about that, poor wording on my first post. I have a total of three backups showing on my time capsule. One is the Macbook pro & then the other two are for the mini. I just named them MacBook Pro & MacMini, not very original, but easy to tell them apart.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2010, 10:04 PM

Can you post the output of ifconfig -a on the mini and the MBP along with the actual sparsebundle names.

Forum Links
Forum Rules