Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Hooking MBP to HDTV while on Boot Camp

Hooking MBP to HDTV while on Boot Camp
Yakusoya
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2010, 06:47 PM

Hi, I have a MacBook Pro which I can hook up to my HDTV via DVI-HDMI cable and audio cable. For some reason, when I boot into Windows XP, it doesn't show up on my TV and instead shows "No Signal". I know it's plugged in in the right slot since when I restart into Mac, then it instantly shows on the TV.

Is there a driver that I need to install on Windows for it to work? I've tried changing the screen resolution in Windows to 1920x1280 but still doesn't show on the TV. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 1, 2010, 09:32 PM

Yes, you need a Windows driver for your MBP's graphics system that supports the external display output. The stock driver does not do this to my knowledge. Since you don't specify which MBP you have, you'll have to look up the driver yourself. I understand that several versions of the MBP have graphics systems that have (at least third party) support for the external display under Windows.

For what it's worth, an OS X desktop on a 55 inch LCD TV really ROCKS!!!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Yakusoya  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2010, 12:53 AM

Sorry, I forgot about that. My MBP is the 15" MB133LL/A model A1260. And Windows XP is SP2.

Edit:
Would this apply for my MBP? http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1442
( Last edited by Yakusoya; Mar 2, 2010 at 01:42 AM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 2, 2010, 08:38 AM

It seems your MBP has the nVidia 8600 video system, so it looks like that Boot Camp issue could be your problem. Give it a shot and see if that helps-it should not hurt in the least to try.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Yakusoya  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2010, 03:32 AM

Thanks, it worked. But I can't get the screen resolution to come out right on the TV. I selected 1440x900 but on the TV, the text was absolutely unreadable. 1024x768 looked perfect but on the TV, it comes out a bit stretched horizontally. What size should it be viewed at?

Forum Links
Forum Rules