Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New Mini

New Mini
PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 12, 2010, 11:04 PM

I just got a new Mini with 2gb ram (latest version). I transferred all of my info using Time Machine but I am so far less than impressed with the speed. I went from a Core Duo 1.6ghz. Would boosting the ram to 4gb make a big difference. I am just going by how long it takes for applications to load (lots of bounces). I know that is no real measure. Are there any tools I can run to optimize the system?

Thanks

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2010, 04:51 AM

yes RAM makes a huge difference in the MIni. Maxing it out to 4GB is a must do. The Mini is actually not a slow machine, although obviously it's not up there with the fastest iMacs.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

MacPC
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2010, 11:10 PM

Actually I am surprised you found the new Mac mini slow. I tried my friend's new mini and I was impressed. Do you have many apps open at the same time?

mkral
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2010, 05:14 PM

definitely upgrade the ram. I bought my mini at the beginning of 2009, right before they came out with the ones with the 320 gig hd. It came with 1 gig of ram, i upgraded to 2 & it made a huge improvement. I just found out last month that you can actually upgrade them to 3 gigs of ram. I did & I was amazed at the difference it made. Ram is pretty cheap & the increase in performance should be well worth the $ you spend.

switz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2010, 08:52 AM

I modified several mini servers:

8 Gb ram
256 GB SSD system drive
500Gb @ 7200rpm data drive

All seem quick and servers like extra ram to reduce swapping.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2010, 04:09 PM

I own a Mac Mini 2.26ghz with 4gb of ram and it is great as far as applications are concerned. The only issue I have is with the graphics chip.

It plays DVD's great, but when ever I try to play 1080p clips from my Sanyo HD2000a . . . hmmm . . . I just realized that the clips from my Sanyo are 1080p 60fps. Anyhow, the problem is I'm getting dropped frames. I don't have the problem with my Canon T2i 1080p (30fps) clips.

I'm thinking about selling my MacMini for a iMac 27" Quad core. I don't like the iMac, but I need the extra graphics power.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2010, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
I'm thinking about selling my MacMini for a iMac 27" Quad core. I don't like the iMac, but I need the extra graphics power.
You're not alone.

I want a Mac Mini on steroids - Computerworld Blogs

Many people who don't really want an iMac are being driven towards one for various reasons. Bottom line, Apple simply doesn't offer a whole lot to chose from on the desktop.

Forum Links
Forum Rules