Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Another Battery Problem

Another Battery Problem
dolver
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2010, 12:20 AM

Hi All,

So I have a Macbook Pro:

Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 2 MB
Memory: 2 GB

And the battery for the past few months has not lasted very long at all. It is the second battery this computer has seen, so I decided against buying a new one and waiting until I need a new computer all together.

However, after reading an article online, I did a quick check of my battery info on Sys Profiler and came up with:

Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 63133
Fully charged: Yes
Charging: No
Full charge capacity (mAh): 64666
Health Information:
Cycle count: 134
Condition: Good
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): -2829
Voltage (mV): 11242

Full charge capacity seems ridiculously high and made me think that maybe my battery is ok, but something in my OS isn't handling the battery correctly. Anyone have any ideas? The behavior is that when I unplug it, it will go down to 94-95% and then hibernate. When I plug it back in and bring it out of hibernation, it will list battery at 0%

Thanks for the help.

Jason25
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2010, 11:19 AM

Are you using Snow Leopard? There seem to be a lot of reports on Apple's forums about screwed up battery reporting. Mine goes crazy sometimes, too. At times it'll tell me to "Service Battery", then other times it's fine.

dolver  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2010, 05:07 PM

I am actually running 10.5.8

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 21, 2010, 05:14 PM

Try resetting the SMC. The battery in my 15" MBP has one more cycle than you and works OK.

dolver  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2010, 12:44 AM

Thanks for the tip. I tried that and it didn't work. However, it may just be that the battery can't hold a charge after all. I recreated the issue and pressed the button on the battery and only 1 green light lit up, which I assume means that it truly is out of charge as opposed to the computer seeing it incorrectly, right?

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2010, 08:32 PM

Yeah the battery is dead at around 90% but it thinks it has ten times the capacity it should have.

Forum Links
Forum Rules