Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > New Monitor

New Monitor
webraider
Forum Regular
Apr 9, 2010, 06:04 AM

I have a quick question. I'm considering either getting the new Apple Cinema Display with Mini-Display Connection or a monitor that has an HDMI port on it. The main reason is that I want an HDCP Compliant Monitor. My question is, If I use the HDMI port via a Mini-Display to HDMI adapter, will it look worse than if I use a Native Display Port Monitor? I'm asking because HDMI is much different than Display Port and I'm concerned about resolution. Any comments are welcomed.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2010, 11:35 AM

My sense is that a decent quality HDTV will offer decent video quality from computer output. Some HDTVs don't handle computer output as well. I'd look online for reviews from those who use HDTVs and digital connections from their computers.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

-Q-
Apr 9, 2010, 12:37 PM

Mini display to HDMI should be fine with a HDCP-compliant monitor. It's still a digital signal so the image should look fine. And DRM compliance is built into the display port spec so you should be able to play all the content you want.

You'll still have to use a separate cable for audio; afaik the mini display port doesn't yet support sending a audio feed along with the video.

ibook_steve
Apr 9, 2010, 02:33 PM

DVI, DisplayPort, and HDMI are all digital connections. There's no such thing as video "quality" with a digital signal: you either have a picture or you don't. So the "quality" is the same for all digital connections.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

webraider  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 9, 2010, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
DVI, DisplayPort, and HDMI are all digital connections. There's no such thing as video "quality" with a digital signal: you either have a picture or you don't. So the "quality" is the same for all digital connections.

Steve
Thanks steve. the reason that I'm asking is because I thought I heard some where that HDMI was based on the old CRT connection although it was digital. I was also confused that because HDMI is a "Digital TV" interface that the resolution for the regular computer viewing wouldn't be the same. I wasn't sure so I post the question. Thanks for your response.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2010, 05:49 PM

There are also HDCP-compliant monitors without HDMI, like the Apple one or the HP ZR24w that I just got. I’m pretty happy with the latter, and it’s about the best price you’ll find on an 24-inch IPS monitor.

Forum Links
Forum Rules