Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > please say no to 14"

please say no to 14"
bigsmoke07
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2002, 12:44 AM

we need apple to keep the 12" model, it's light, small, cute, perfect.

the 14" one looks so misplaced in its case, like i would expect from a PC....

i've heard rumors all 14" soon, that would be so disappointing. don't ruin a good thing!

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 19, 2002, 01:07 AM

I'm with you on this one, but I think the 14" is important. It says that you can have a larger screen (if you need it). I would hate to see ALL of the iBooks went to 14". I would rather see a 11.4" in wide screen format. Basically tack on another 1.5 inches to the screens width.

Needless to say, all 14" iBooks would be bad. I like the small screen. I would like a G4 in the system even better. Small and fast. Ahhhhhh

mrfoxxman
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2002, 01:57 AM

I again agree.... 12" iBooks are Great for many [like my wife] who want small compact, light design. Yet others NEED the 14" screen... It would be DUMB of apple to kill the 12" model.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2002, 03:12 AM

i don't think there would be anything inherently wrong with moving the ibook to all 14.1" models... provided they increased the resolution over the existing 12.1" models (widescreen dimensions would be nice) and redesigned the area around the keyboard. that said, it would be even better if they improved the 14.1" model and kept one model with a 12.1" screen.

-r.

Cipher13
Feb 19, 2002, 03:31 AM

ALL 14" would be bad...

...it defies the entire purpose of the iBook.

It wasn't only meant to be a more affordable alternative, but a more compact one, a la 2300c... it's a subnotebook.

nick h
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2002, 03:43 AM

Originally posted by rjenkinson:
<STRONG>i don't think there would be anything inherently wrong with moving the ibook to all 14.1" models... provided they increased the resolution over the existing 12.1" models (widescreen dimensions would be nice) and redesigned the area around the keyboard. that said, it would be even better if they improved the 14.1" model and kept one model with a 12.1" screen.

-r.</STRONG>
I totally disagree. The very nature of the 12" makes it a perfect laptop for me. If Apple only had 14" iBooks, I would seriously have to consider loooking at some Windows laptops. The 12" is ultra portable- with the huge screen on the Ti, and the bulk of the 14", Apple would be loosing a valuable customer base if they got rid of the 12".

I do agree however that something needs to be done with the 14inch. Give it a faster processor, a better media drive, something. And redesign it so it doesn't look so ugly (it doesn't HAVE to look like it's sibling 12" model).

Definately I think BOTH iBook models need better screen resolution. 1024x768 is perfect for me, but I think too many other people want and need better resolution capabilities. Same goes for the Ti. This is one area where Apple isn't doing too well compared to Windows-based laptops.
Roam: iBook (Dual USB) ~ 600Mhz, 384MB, 15GB, DVD, 12.1", OS X

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 19, 2002, 04:35 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
<STRONG>ALL 14" would be bad...

...it defies the entire purpose of the iBook.

It wasn't only meant to be a more affordable alternative, but a more compact one, a la 2300c... it's a subnotebook.</STRONG>
Actually no. The purpose of the iBook was merely to be the consumer laptop. The smaller size thing came later. The original models were much bigger than the pro G3s. What a lot of us would like to see is an iBook of whatever screen size, Ti G4 and a pro sub notebook. I'm talking 3 pounds, pro ports and a 10 - 12 inch screen.

PeteWK

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2002, 05:48 AM

I agree with Pete. It was designed to be a consumer 'Book before they decided it would have a 12.1-inch LCD. I think they used it to cut costs. As a bonus, the were able to put the 'Book in such a small package.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2002, 10:12 AM

As a bonus, they were able to put the 'Book in such a small package.
The bigger bonus for Apple is that they have sold a gazillion of these things to traveling professional people. (Count me in.) Apple desperately needed a small laptop. The 12 inch screen is the best I have seen on any laptop of comparable size. It is even brighter and better than what is on the Powerbook. There is not a better featured laptop, by anyone at the value and price of the iBook.

A smaller, even lighter machine might be nice and maybe Apple should go after this someday. I would rather see a G4 go into the 12 inch combo drive iBook. That would really be a seller.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2002, 11:01 AM

On the other side..
Many new ibook buyers are maybe new to macs..
And I have the impression that a lot of people thinks bigger screens on a laptop is better.. Since they want a desktop replacement in many cases..
But I dunno..
I am very happy with my 12.1" ibook..
Pretty fun when ppl are drawling my shoulders wet over this thing.. And they are right.. It has a very good design. But I can't say much about the 14" since I haven't seen any in real life yet.. hmm..

Sniffer gone old-school sig

pilauh
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2002, 11:35 AM

my 12" iBook suits me so well, I think I'm in love...

It's a late 2001 combo with 384 RAM on board running OS X (10.1.2), it's so nice that my girlfriend thinks about stealing it from me... the only thing I want now is wireless thru Airport to be able to surf with OmniWeb 4.1b in my couch listening to jazz and drinking softdrinks...

The size of that thing really mattered when I purchased it, and even if it's "only" G3 @600Mhz OS X is fine with me for what I intend to do with that machine (surf, chat, mail, games, ...). I don't intend to have 50 layers of Photoshop running on that one, so....

keep the 12" size, make it a G4 ASAP, make it nVidia ASAP, better sound speakers would be a nice thing...

Keep the 12" size...

late 2001 iBook (combo drive)
384MB, 20GB
OS X 10.2.4
Harman/Kardon SoundSticks

Naplander
Senior User
Feb 19, 2002, 12:28 PM

keep the 12" size, make it a G4 ASAP, make it nVidia ASAP
Yeah man....bring it on.
KEEPING THE PEACE - WITH FORCE

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2002, 03:33 PM

I was interested in the iBook because of the small form factor as well. If it had been the 14" model I would have just kept my old tangerine toilet seat iBook. I didn't want the G4 Powerbook because it's too large. I certainly wouldn't want an iBook that is the same size as the G4, but slower and with a lower screen resolution. Money was not the deciding factor for me, size was.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Bernard Ducamp
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2002, 03:42 PM

Apple's purpose may have been to create a "consumer portable" . . .

BUT the White iBook is also a great "sub-compact". Excellent performance and design in a low-power laptop, with a wonderfully readable and bright 12" screen. Bigger may be better, but when you have to lug it around all over the place, 12" and light and small is really much nicer than a larger, but more cumbersome, 14"-display-based portable.

I think a 12" iBook should be retained by Apple.

joemac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2002, 12:21 AM

What???? What???? Say yes to 14". I got one a love it. I hate that little 12 incher...

x user
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2002, 12:47 AM

Originally posted by joemac:
<STRONG>What???? What???? Say yes to 14". I got one a love it. I hate that little 12 incher... </STRONG>
Matter of personal opinion and use. I love the smallest laptop I can find. I'd love for mine to have even a smaller screen if it'd reduce the form factor even more.

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2002, 01:05 AM

Originally posted by nick h:
<STRONG>

I totally disagree. The very nature of the 12" makes it a perfect laptop for me. </STRONG>

"Me me me me me!!!! Wha wha wha whaw!!!!You want a little cheese with your wine? So if something does not work for you that means it is does not work for anyone else? Yeah. Ooooooookay.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

Sawtooth2000
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2002, 02:42 PM

I think Apple should make the iBook 13.3" across the line.

I think they could fit a 13.3" screen into the current 12.1" enclosure. Use some of that border on the 12.1" to fit a 13.3" in there.

This would be the perfect medium.

Thoughts?

-'tooth

Maneki Neko
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2002, 03:08 PM

I think both have their place. My girlfriend just bought an iBook. She chose the 14" model. It works great for her needs. Other people might need the 12" model. I doubt there's much more R&D involved with keeping both, just a bigger case & a bigger screen.

Choices are never a bad thing.

(edited because it sounded a bit snippy)

[ 02-21-2002: Message edited by: Maneki Neko ]

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 21, 2002, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by Maneki Neko:
<STRONG>I think both have their place. My girlfriend just bought an iBook. She chose the 14" model. It works great for her needs. Other people might need the 12" model. I doubt there's much more R&D involved with keeping both, just a bigger case & a bigger screen.

Choices are never a bad thing.

(edited because it sounded a bit snippy)

[ 02-21-2002: Message edited by: Maneki Neko ]</STRONG>
Yeah. I dunno what everyone's problem is. Choice is a good thing. I like the 12" better than the 14", but if it were up to me I'd rather have a 13". Too bad I don't have the choice.

sirlexelot
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2002, 03:55 PM

Personally I agree that 14" only would be a terrible idea. If the current iBook was 14" only from the start, I would NEVER have gotten one, I'd simply get a Pismo Powerbook instead. I think the 14" is awful, personally. I think Apple realizes that the only reason their portable market has been booming recently is because they really got it perfect with the 12" iBook. While not quite a subnotebook (let's be real here - take anything that Sony considers a subnotebook, and notice how much smaller than the iBook it is), it manages to get mighty close while still being a completely full-featured computer. The 14" model takes perfection and makes it cumbersome. A little more screen size and some more battery life just doesn't make up for the added weight and size of the thing - and if you're not carrying your laptop around all the time, and you think therefore these aren't issues, then why do you want a laptop in the first place? Get the new iMac instead! It's a fantastic computer, and a hell of a lot more bang for your buck in terms of performance.

Anyway, after having gone through a G4 cube and a PowerBook G4, I can honestly say that the iBook is the first Apple computer I've owned since my Power Mac 8600 that I think is exactly perfect for what it is. As good ol' Steve says, let the computer be true to itself: make sure that your portable computer is truly portable. Anyway, that's my spiel.
SirLexelot
10gig iPod, iPod Shuffle
Dual G4 867mhz Tower

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 21, 2002, 06:00 PM

I understand where you're coming from, sirlelelot. And if I had a Mac desktop to come home to, I would probably feel the same way. The new iMac is really tempting me, I've gotta admit.

While I've used a few, I've never even owned an Apple desktop. I've had two of them in offices with over 6 years of use, so I have some experience with them. But I've always gone for the laptops (6 and counting). For me, the ideal thing to do with a 12.1 inch iBook is to augment ones desktop. I just don't think it makes as good a desktop replacement as some of Apple's other choices. I think Apple came out with the new 14.1 inch iBook because laptops are coming into their own as stand alone computers.

I bought one of the 12 inch Dual USB iBooks and liked it alot. But if they'd have had a 14 inch model then, I would still have it.

PeteWK

yomammasmokeschiba
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2002, 08:31 PM

I dunno if I would have bought my iBook if my only option was a 14" screen. I like the small form, it is a laptop after all.

How about 3 sizes? 14, 12.1, and 9.5 or 10 (If apple can cram the guts into a smaller package)? It would be cool to see Apple do a true sub-notebook. They could market it as a companion piece to the new iMac.

yomammasmokeschiba

rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Feb 21, 2002, 09:53 PM

Originally posted by yomammasmokeschiba:
<STRONG>I dunno if I would have bought my iBook if my only option was a 14" screen. I like the small form, it is a laptop after all.

How about 3 sizes? 14, 12.1, and 9.5 or 10 (If apple can cram the guts into a smaller package)? It would be cool to see Apple do a true sub-notebook. They could market it as a companion piece to the new iMac.

yomammasmokeschiba </STRONG>

satchmo
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2002, 07:36 PM

More importantly, give the iBook line a G4 processor (and sooner than later).
Screen size doesn't matter when you can't use it productively.

But choice is good and they should keep the two sizes 12 and 14 inches. HIghly unlikely they'll be a 13.3 version (too many models in one product line).

ddukes
Feb 26, 2002, 02:53 AM

I agree with the Topic too. I would love it if Apple kept the 12 inch screen. I love the size and portability of my iBook 500.. Didn't think I would at first though.

After months of using the 12 incher I tested the 14 inch out and I didn't like it because it was too FAT and ugly.

No Offense To Fat and Ugly People.

I can understand for new users from the PC side like in joemac's case because they're accustomed to that, or anyone who hasn't had one of Apple's latest slim and trim offerings. But for those who have embraced the compact, versatile, and unique stature of the 12inch, I don't think it would be wise to go all 14" FAT.

Hopefully a redesign will be in place that will please both crowds.

[ 02-26-2002: Message edited by: ddukes ]

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2002, 03:16 AM

I think the iBook is great as a 12in model and Apple would be shooting themselves in the foot if they dropped it from the lineup. However the rumor circulating is that Apple won't have much choice in the matter because they will be the only ones buying the screen from samsung, therefore raising the cost of the display, if not causing samsung to stop producing it.

I do agree though that the iBook is very much underpowered. I think that there needs to be 700 Mhz G3s across the board or a G4 at 500 or 600 MHz. I have a 500 Mhz combo drive and the speed is killing me. I'm sure the bus speed has something to do with it. I'm sure it doesn't cause Apple a penny to increase the bus and clock speed since every one of these machines can be overclocked successfully. However I think the poor specs of the low end iBook just push more people to purchase the more expensive models, which is what Apple wants.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2002, 03:42 AM

When I was at the Macworld keynote with my MacNN hoodlums, I was shocked that they released a 14.1-inch iBook. I was ready to toss my Pismo out (the keyboard is worn out and makes tons of noise and the machine as a whole is falling apart from travel around the world) until I found out that the 14.1-inch iBook didn't have a higher-resolution screen.

The 14.1-inch iBook would be perfect for older people who can't read the 12.1-inch screen easily.

Each machine has its place. The 12.1-inch iBook is perfect for some, but the 14.1-inch iBook might be more suitable for others.

The extra battery life is also a plus.

aloner
Feb 26, 2002, 03:47 AM

In a near future, I suspect the decision might be: 12.1 inches with a G3 processor or 14.1 inches with a G4 processor.
G4s get very hot. Probably too hot to include in the cramped internals of a 12.1 incher.
I like the 12.1 better though.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2002, 11:49 AM

That's an interesting thought. However, I don't think Apple would do something like that; it would cost too much to maintain two iBooks with very different internals.

They might include a higher-speed G4 in the larger, 14.1-inch notebook and a slower G4 in the 12.1-inch notebook.

Orange Luna
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2002, 06:14 PM

The 14' is a really nice computer. If only Apple would enlarge the keyboard for it though. Actually, I don't care so much about the size of the screen as long as Apple is able to keep price reasonable. I don't know if you've seen it but Dell has a notebook now for $1049.
"It's the cowards and weaklings and sorelosers who hide behind rules and fair play."
The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2002, 10:01 PM

Originally posted by Orange Luna:
[QB]The 14' is a really nice computer. If only Apple would enlarge the keyboard for it though.

how big of keyboard do you need on a 14 foot computer?
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

dragonbong
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2002, 11:04 PM

Originally posted by gumby5647:
<STRONG>

how big of keyboard do you need on a 14 foot computer? </STRONG>
Well I don't think it's so much the keyboard size but the extra space on the side of the ibook it looks horrible. Still the screen is friggin sweet.

PseuFighter
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2002, 03:01 AM

Originally posted by dragonbong:
<STRONG>

Well I don't think it's so much the keyboard size but the extra space on the side of the ibook it looks horrible. Still the screen is friggin sweet. </STRONG>
Just imagine trying to get that through airport security!
Let's show 'em why Macworld 2003 won't be like Macworld 2002.

Forum Links
Forum Rules