Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Find file never seems to find anything

Find file never seems to find anything
steve666
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2010, 01:43 AM

In my previous old computer when i typed in something, like clamXav it would find every single thing the program installed on my computer.
I just trashed clamXav and I knew some things were left behind, yet when I went to the file-find function and typed it in nothing came up. I went through my system myself and found some things and deleted them.
Why didn't the find function find them?

reader50
Administrator
Jun 22, 2010, 01:55 AM

Spotlight doesn't work so well outside your user folder. Before Spotlight (ie - in 10.3 and earlier) the Find function used to do an actual file search. Now it relies on the Spotlight indexes, which omit a lot of system-related folders.

When I need to do real searches, I use EasyFind.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2010, 03:17 AM

Unix find works well too...

find /path -iname "*whatever*"

will search /path for files containing "whatever" in them with the possibility of stuff before and after "whatever".

P
Jun 22, 2010, 04:06 AM

Find is crazy slow though. Usually you can use locate instead, but I'm not sure how that works with Spotlight installed, if the locate database is still updated or if it redirects to Spotlight. Will have to check some time.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2010, 04:17 AM

True, find does not maintain an index like the locate command or Spotlight, but it's an alternative to the GUI EasyFind thing which I would imagine doesn't operate off of an index either.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2010, 05:41 AM

Open the Find dialog and type "clamXav" into the search field. Then click the + button to add a search criterium. In the criterium popup-button select Other… and find the "System files" criterium, select it and click OK. Then select "are included" in the other popup-button. Find then finds all files including system files that belong to clamXav.

If you do this often mark the checkbox that says "in menu" next to "System files" so that it appears in the criterium menu directly.

steve666  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2010, 10:45 AM

Its amazing that Apple would ruin such a helpful feature

steve666  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2010, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Open the Find dialog and type "clamXav" into the search field. Then click the + button to add a search criterium. In the criterium popup-button select Other… and find the "System files" criterium, select it and click OK. Then select "are included" in the other popup-button. Find then finds all files including system files that belong to clamXav.

If you do this often mark the checkbox that says "in menu" next to "System files" so that it appears in the criterium menu directly.
Thank you, i will try this.
clam just didn't work for me. i had some kind of worm that accessed my yahoo contact list and sent out emails that looked like they were coming from me. Very scary.
Is there any kind of software you or anyone can recommend to protect against this?

P
Jun 22, 2010, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by steve666 View Post
Thank you, i will try this.
clam just didn't work for me. i had some kind of worm that accessed my yahoo contact list and sent out emails that looked like they were coming from me. Very scary.
Is there any kind of software you or anyone can recommend to protect against this?
See this. If I read this correctly, the worm is not affected by antivirus tools on the client computer - the bug is on the Yahoo side.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Thorzdad
Jun 22, 2010, 12:04 PM

I'm happy to see someone else who misses the old, simple Find function. Spotlight has been near useless for me, in my experience with it. Cmd-F, for me, has come to mean "Frustration". Personally, I never found Find to be horribly slow. YMMV, I guess.

steve666  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2010, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
See this. If I read this correctly, the worm is not affected by antivirus tools on the client computer - the bug is on the Yahoo side.
Wow, thanks. I was going nuts trying to find something on my Mac. I thought I may have some problem because clamXav just wasn't working right, stopped in the middle of a scan. I guess I will relax now and not run out and buy Virus barrier.

Mr_E
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2010, 01:22 PM

Try Find Any File.
Works as advertised.

Find Any File

steve666  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2010, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
I'm happy to see someone else who misses the old, simple Find function. Spotlight has been near useless for me, in my experience with it. Cmd-F, for me, has come to mean "Frustration". Personally, I never found Find to be horribly slow. YMMV, I guess.
The old Find was great, always found bits of programs that I had deleted so i could get everything related off my drive.
I used the tip from the other Post and it found 3 things that clam left on my drive so i deleted them.
Why would Apple make something so much less intuitive and useful? Who would think to click the + button and add anything from there?
Bizarre.

reader50
Administrator
Jun 22, 2010, 02:17 PM

The biggest problem with Spotlight is that mdworker (the indexing process) does not index most system-related folders. And the Spotlight pref pane allows you to exempt folders from indexing for privacy, but does not allow you to add folders.

There are 3rd party utilities that can force the indexing of other locations, but it's a one-time shot. You have to keep manually updating the indexes for those locations, the automatic process will not maintain them.

/System/
/bin/
/opt/
/sbin/
/usr/
/private/etc/
/private/var/

None of the above locations will index on their own. Even if you add System Files to the Find results, I don't think that extends the indexing to actually include System locations. At most, it will add the base /Library/ folder.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2010, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
True, find does not maintain an index like the locate command or Spotlight, but it's an alternative to the GUI EasyFind thing which I would imagine doesn't operate off of an index either.
The reason the find tool is slow is that it traverses the file system in logical order. If EasyFind is well-written, I would assume it would do a catalog search instead, which would not involve an index either (unless you consider the catalog file itself to be a kind of index), yet would be far faster than /usr/bin/find.

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
The biggest problem with Spotlight is that mdworker (the indexing process) does not index most system-related folders. And the Spotlight pref pane allows you to exempt folders from indexing for privacy, but does not allow you to add folders.

There are 3rd party utilities that can force the indexing of other locations, but it's a one-time shot. You have to keep manually updating the indexes for those locations, the automatic process will not maintain them.
There used to be a _rules.plist file inside the /.Spotlight-V100 folder which contained all these exceptions, and from where you could delete them, after which they would automatically update just like any other folder. This doesn't seem to be there anymore, but there might be an equivalent file somewhere else.
( Last edited by CharlesS; Jun 22, 2010 at 05:14 PM. )

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2010, 09:28 PM

Its amazing that Apple would ruin such a helpful feature
There are tens of thousands of files included in the BSD subsystem, this is probably a smart design decision for the vast majority of people.

steve666  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2010, 10:16 PM

There are tens of thousands of files included in the BSD subsystem, this is probably a smart design decision for the vast majority of people.
I don't see it that way. When you trash an app folder there are still items left on the drive. It's nice to able to clear out everything.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2010, 10:17 PM

I don't see it that way. When you trash an app folder there are still items left on the drive. It's nice to able to clear out everything.
I'm not sure I follow you... How does an app folder relate to the BSD subsystem?

steve666  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2010, 10:20 PM

I'm not sure I follow you... How does an app folder relate to the BSD subsystem?
I just wanted to be able to find all the p.list, preferences, etc that get loaded when you install something and clear them out. On the old finder I would type in the app I just trashed and all the little things left on the drive would pop up and I could easily delete them.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2010, 10:51 PM

I just wanted to be able to find all the p.list, preferences, etc that get loaded when you install something and clear them out. On the old finder I would type in the app I just trashed and all the little things left on the drive would pop up and I could easily delete them.

Ahhh.. we are talking about different things then. The .plist files should, in theory AFAIK, be indexed by Spotlight out of your home directory or a path such as /Library/Preferences or /System/Library/Preferences. The BSD subsystem resides in the paths listed above:

/System/
/bin/
/opt/
/sbin/
/usr/
/private/etc/
/private/var/
also /var, /etc, /dev, and in a non OS X BSD system, /lib, /libexec, /proc, /boot as well. End users in OS X should not have to interact with the vast majority of these files at all.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 22, 2010, 11:09 PM

The .plist files should, in theory AFAIK, be indexed by Spotlight out of your home directory or a path such as /Library/Preferences or /System/Library/Preferences.
Did you test your theory?

Spotlight .plist and tell me what you get, because I certainly don't get anything from ~/Library.

steve666  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2010, 11:10 PM

I'm not a techie, I think my head just exploded reading your Post!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2010, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
Did you test your theory?

Spotlight .plist and tell me what you get, because I certainly don't get anything from ~/Library.

No I didn't! Shame that these aren't indexed, and also surprising, and I apologize for these inaccurate assumptions.

P
Jun 23, 2010, 03:40 AM

Well...yes, but they don't change, excluding the odd system update. The index would grow slightly larger, but the indexing time wouldn't increase except for the odd remake of the entire index. If they only showed up when you selected "System Files" among the files the search, there would be no downside. I wonder why Apple did it this way?

Originally Posted by CharlesS
The reason the find tool is slow is that it traverses the file system in logical order. If EasyFind is well-written, I would assume it would do a catalog search instead, which would not involve an index either (unless you consider the catalog file itself to be a kind of index), yet would be far faster than /usr/bin/find.
All it would take in a situation like this is the old Find File/Sherlock application (which probably did a catalog search). It wasn't particularly fast, but it was WAY faster than the find command in the Terminal. I'm a big fan of Spotlight, but there are certainly times when the old Find File app could be useful.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2010, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
You get if you include system files.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 23, 2010, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
You get if you include system files.
True. But it's about as hidden as it can be and still be called accessible.

steve666  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2010, 12:31 PM

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is odd. Maybe we should make some comments to Apple?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2010, 03:28 PM

I get e-mails every once in a while from people that did stuff like that, ended up deleting some important system file that just happened to have a similar name to some app they were trying to get rid of, and consequently wanted to use Pacifist to get their system working again.

Just sayin'.

Although I will note that the exclusion of stuff in /System is somewhat selective — for example, all header files in /System/Library/Frameworks do get indexed. Try searching for an API name if you've got the dev tools installed. You'll get the header file that declares it (you'll also get a ton of other headers from /Developer/SDKs, which is kind of annoying, but fixable via Spotlight's Privacy pane).

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

steve666  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2010, 06:58 PM

I'm careful about what I dump. Not being able to find all the little software trails was annoying the crap out of me!

Forum Links
Forum Rules