Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Quick question about Boot Camp

Quick question about Boot Camp
Buck_W
Senior User
Jul 25, 2010, 07:55 AM

I have a new iMac still in the box. I want to install 10.6 and Windows 7 on it. Should I use the Mac install disk to partition the HD before installing anything? Or should I simply install OS X and then use Boot Camp to install Windows? This is my first attempt at running both OS's on a new Mac, so any tips, insights and suggestions would be greatly appreciated - thank you!
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2010, 08:42 AM

You should use the Boot Camp Assistant to partition the drive.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 25, 2010, 10:02 AM

I moved this thread to the Alternative OS forum because it fits better.

Waragainstsleep is right-the Boot Camp Assistant is specifically designed to do the appropriate partitioning and then run the Windows installer in one smooth operation. No need to do anything else before you install Win7.

And unlike a Windows-only machine, there's no reason to do a lot of the "preparation" stuff on a Mac. No "register your copy" warnings, no "your computer is unprotected!!!" issues. It just runs.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Buck_W  (op)
Senior User
Jul 25, 2010, 01:13 PM

Thanks to you both! A couple of follow-up questions. . . After both operating systems are installed, how does the Mac boot up? Is there an option for a default boot disk? How do you switch back and forth between Mac OS and Windows?

Cold Warrior
Jul 25, 2010, 02:53 PM

option key held at the startup chime will provide a selection of windows or OS X. Otherwise both windows and OS X have startup disk utilities/preferences if you want to change the default or select one to boot in advance of a restart. I tend to keep os x as the default and just use the option key to select win7 if needed.

Buck_W  (op)
Senior User
Jul 25, 2010, 03:30 PM

I'm in the middle of the installation and have run into a snag. Is there a way of getting the Windows installation disk out of my Mac upon restart? I've tried holding down the mouse key during set-up, but the computer keeps booting up on the install disk.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 25, 2010, 03:41 PM

What is the snag? That may be something that needs addressing...

Anyway, when the Mac startup chime sounds, hold the ALT key-just hold it down. After a bit you'll get a screen that shows the bootable volumes that are available, which will include the install CD. Just select the Mac drive and the computer will boot from that.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 25, 2010, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
And unlike a Windows-only machine, there's no reason to do a lot of the "preparation" stuff on a Mac. No "register your copy" warnings, no "your computer is unprotected!!!" issues. It just runs.
I can only think that in the above paragraph, you are referring to Mac OS X only.

It should be noted that you need to make sure Windows is activated successfully and has anti-malware utilities installed.

Firefox or most other alternative web browsers (that aren't based upon Internet Explorer) are a good step towards making sure malware does not infect your Windows installation.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 25, 2010, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
I can only think that in the above paragraph, you are referring to Mac OS X only.

It should be noted that you need to make sure Windows is activated successfully and has anti-malware utilities installed.

Firefox or most other alternative web browsers (that aren't based upon Internet Explorer) are a good step towards making sure malware does not infect your Windows installation.
Yes, of course I was referring to Mac OS only. ANY Windows installation NEEDS anti-malware. And one big benefit you get from something like Firefox is that it not only doesn't use Active-X, it doesn't allow Active-X. Much safer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules