Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Windows 7 OEM: is this going to work?

Windows 7 OEM: is this going to work?
hart
Senior User
Aug 16, 2010, 05:07 PM

So finally all my software is in hand to get Windows 7 onto my new iMac after extensive research and checking. But now I'm freaking out a bit because I read the fine print slathered all over the box of the OEM version of windows that I got.

I'm planning to install it with bootcamp first and then install Parallels 5. I just want to re-check before I open up the box that the OEM version isn't going to mess me up here.

For one thing, what is the OEM Preinstallation Kit?

Anyway, any helpful information appreciated. Thanks.

-Q-
Aug 16, 2010, 05:34 PM

It should work fine (I have no idea what the OEM Preinstallation Kit is, however) as it's still a full, working copy of Windows.

Technically, you're in violation of the licensing agreement as the OEM version is intended for people who build their own machines but you're not pirating the software or anything. When my home-built computer crapped out, I used the Windows OEM CD to install windows on my MBP and it worked fine for years.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 16, 2010, 07:05 PM

The OEM preinstallation kit is a tool that corporate IT teams can use to produce a single, managed image with all their drivers, software, settings and so on already set up so they simply place the image on a new computer's hard drive and it starts all configured.

Unless you got a Dell OEM copy then you should be fine. Some Dell Windows discs (and I stress some) check for a hardware signature in Dell's BIOS and won't install without it. Other OEMs don't have this limitation. Which particular OEM version did you get? Did it come from a reputable source like NewEgg?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Cold Warrior
Aug 16, 2010, 09:27 PM

Last Christmas I bought the Win7 x64 OEM from Newegg. Works fine.

hart  (op)
Senior User
Aug 16, 2010, 11:09 PM

I ordered it from Amazon as I was getting my copy of Parallels there at the same time. No indication that it shouldn't be a legitimate "full" OEM copy. It's entertaining and a little nerve wracking to read the fine print. I'm legally required to provide reasonable phone support to the end user . . . I guess that's me.

That's good to know about the Preinstallation Kit. I'll tuck that into my knowledge tidbits file in my brain.

Thank you for the help. I will now cut the box open with a little less trepidation.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 17, 2010, 12:38 AM

If your copy of Parallels is refundable I'd definitely try using Virtualbox first. It will probably end up being faster, and is free.

hart  (op)
Senior User
Aug 17, 2010, 10:18 AM

I kept going back and forth on virtualization software. I've been using Fusion on my other iMac with few problems. But an extensive article on benchmark tests at MacTech seemed to definitively give Parallels a significant plus on the speed side.

My impression for VirtualBox was that it was a bit raw and might require a little more tinkering than I really wanted to take on as I'm already tinkering enough. Couple that with the fact that Parallels is under $40 right now with rebates I figured I'd go with it to start and see how it went.

If Parallels turns out to be a pain in the neck VirtualBox is next on the list.

Forum Links
Forum Rules