Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > 64-bit or 32-bit: please explain

64-bit or 32-bit: please explain
hart
Senior User
Jul 26, 2010, 03:06 PM

I'm getting ready to install Windows 7 on an iMac 2.8GHz i7. I'm going to start with a Bootcamp install and probably run it at least part time using Fusion or Parallels (haven't decided yet.) So next question up is 32-bit or 64-bit. I gather I could do either. The main software I'll be running, 3DStudio Max, has both versions on its install disks.

So I can't seem to get a clear idea of which version of Windows I should be installing and why. If anyone could give me some clues on this front it would be a big help.

Thanks.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2010, 04:43 PM

I think it comes down to RAM. If your iMac comes with 4 GBs or are planning on going to it (or beyond) then 32-bit Windows are not for you, as you would be limited to something like 3.3 GB of RAM, wasting precious amounts of RAM no matter the amount of RAM inside your Mac.

hart  (op)
Senior User
Jul 26, 2010, 05:04 PM

So that's the benefit of 64-bit. Additional memory can be utilized.

On the negative side I keep reading discussions of Windows 7 causing conniptions in my particular model of iMac but I can't tell if it's Windows 7 generally or 64-bit in particular. Anyone know?

There are so many variables that trying to piece them all together is proving difficult. Here are some links that I've been following trying to get this straight:

Apple - Support - Discussions - Windows7 32 0r 64 bit on a imac27 i5? ...

Apple - Support - Discussions - Windows 7: 32-bit or 64-bit? ...

Boot Camp: iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) displays a black screen during installation of Windows 7 using Boot Camp

Apple - Support - Discussions - Installing windows 7 Home premium ...

Apple - Support - Discussions - Black/Blank Screen with Boot Camp Win 7 ...

Apple - Support - Discussions - Graphics/Color does not look right ...

Apple - Support - Discussions - iMac 27 inch Windows ATI driver test ...

Apple - Support - Discussions - 27" iMac Bootcamp Windows 7 64-bit ...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 26, 2010, 05:41 PM

It's not that simple when it comes to virtualization.

Para-virtualization is not possible with 64 bit guests, AFAIK, and you need a hypervisor that supports Intel VT to run 64 bit guests too. Your CPU and all Intel Mac CPUs should support VT, AFAIK, and Windows does not support para-virt anyway, so you could run the 64 bit version which I would suggest doing if you have the RAM and your app can make use of more than 4 gig of RAM.

hart  (op)
Senior User
Jul 27, 2010, 06:53 PM

AAAaaa!!

I mean thanks! I think I may be just driving myself crazy with this trying to avoid all possible problems before I even have the software in hand. But as you say, virtualization isn't that simple. Every can of worms seems to have another can of worms in it.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2010, 11:11 PM

So wait...are you all saying we should just get 32 bit Windows 7 to be safe?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2010, 11:34 PM

Who are you asking, Helmling?

Helmling
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2010, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Who are you asking, Helmling?
Anyone, but mostly you.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 23, 2010, 12:50 AM

What I would say is that if you want to assign more than 4 GB of RAM to your Windows apps or you feel that a particular app or the OS itself would benefit from running in 64 bit mode, it doesn't hurt to try doing just that. In some cases, and with some virtualization solutions you can't run 64 bit Windows though, such as with Windows guests and processors or virtualization solutions that don't support full virtualization via the Intel VT or AMD XT extensions that are included with your processor.

All Intel based Macs support VT, and I'm not aware of any Mac-centric virtualization solution/hypervisor that does not support full virtualization, as opposed to para-virtualization. There is only one caveat though, and that is migrating your VM images to a machine that doesn't have these extensions though, in which case your VM guests will not run.

Para-virtualization is actually faster, it basically means that not all of the hardware being presented to the guest is being emulated. If you have ever looked into a virtual private server (VPS) with a company like Linode or Slicehost you will notice that Windows and FreeBSD is not available as an OS choice. This is because these companies use Xen as their VM host and the guests that are run are run via para-virt since this scales better. In order for an OS to support para-virtualization its kernel needs to be modified to support this, which is why this is not available under Windows, why there is partial support in the BSDs, and why therefore all of the OS choices are Linux based.

The cliff notes: all of this para vs. full virt is not relevant to Mac users since Fusion/Virtualbox/Parallels do not do para-virt, and the issue of whether Intel VT (which is hardware that makes 64 bit full-virt possible) isn't either since all Intel Macs will support this. The only concern is with possibly migrating your VM images to a different, older non-Mac machine. Otherwise, knock yourself out going with 64 bit guests!

Does this make sense?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 23, 2010, 12:54 AM

Here is a listing of all Intel processors that support VT:

x86 virtualization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Helmling
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2010, 01:29 AM

Does this make sense?
Actually...no, none at all. You could've been speaking a whole other language.

I just need Windows to play Civilization 5 and my wife needs it to open some peculiar PDF's with internal bookmarks that only open on PC's.

So, 32 bit then, right?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 23, 2010, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Helmling View Post
Actually...no, none at all. You could've been speaking a whole other language.

I just need Windows to play Civilization 5 and my wife needs it to open some peculiar PDF's with internal bookmarks that only open on PC's.

So, 32 bit then, right?

It really doesn't matter then.

For Civ V I'd suggest going with WINE rather than a virtual machine, we've played all of the Civ IV games up to Colonization via WINE just beautifully, it would run *much* faster that way including with video acceleration which is considered experimental in an VM guest.

I'd love a copy of the Civ V prerelease.. How far along is it?

Helmling
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2010, 01:58 AM

It really doesn't matter then.

For Civ V I'd suggest going with WINE rather than a virtual machine, we've played all of the Civ IV games up to Colonization via WINE just beautifully, it would run *much* faster that way including with video acceleration which is considered experimental in an VM guest.

I'd love a copy of the Civ V prerelease.. How far along is it?
It comes out on my birthday next month and I must prepare. So you think Wine will work with Civ 5 out of the box? I was actually just trying to get the PC version of Adobe Reader working on my wife's Macbook through an old copy of Crossover, but nothing would happen when I launched Crossover. For the life of me I can't figure out why the links work in the PC version of Reader but not in Preview or the Mac version.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 23, 2010, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by Helmling View Post
It comes out on my birthday next month and I must prepare. So you think Wine will work with Civ 5 out of the box? I was actually just trying to get the PC version of Adobe Reader working on my wife's Macbook through an old copy of Crossover, but nothing would happen when I launched Crossover. For the life of me I can't figure out why the links work in the PC version of Reader but not in Preview or the Mac version.

It looks like it will. It uses Visual C++ 2008 which the WINE app DB says works perfectly, and it will run under Windows XP which I think that WINE is still centered around. Starcraft 2, another very recently released game, works perfectly on WINE right out-of-the-box too.

A lot of apps like Adobe CS, Office, etc. don't work in WINE, but a lot of games run perfectly - no muss, no fuss. Some versions of Acrobat are reported to kind-of-sort-of work: WineHQ - Adobe Acrobat, but Civ IV has been working for years, literally. We've been playing it for years that way I had to jump through some hoops to get the original Civ IV to work way back when, but the newer versions worked with no extra work necessary at all. That may be because of the work I did way back when, or just the improvement of WINE over the years, I don't know, but even then the extra work I did back then wasn't daunting.

We've been very impressed with how all sorts of games run in WINE.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 23, 2010, 05:22 AM

The cliff notes: all of this para vs. full virt is not relevant to Mac users since Fusion/Virtualbox/Parallels do not do para-virt, and the issue of whether Intel VT (which is hardware that makes 64 bit full-virt possible) isn't either since all Intel Macs will support this.
Why bother mentioning it at all then, when it's obviously neither of relevance nor of interest to the original poster?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 23, 2010, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Why bother mentioning it at all then, when it's obviously neither of relevance nor of interest to the original poster?

I already explained that this would be relevant if the person anticipates transporting their VM images to another machine using a processor not listed on the Wikipedia page.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2010, 01:32 PM

It looks like it will. It uses Visual C++ 2008 which the WINE app DB says works perfectly, and it will run under Windows XP which I think that WINE is still centered around. Starcraft 2, another very recently released game, works perfectly on WINE right out-of-the-box too.

A lot of apps like Adobe CS, Office, etc. don't work in WINE, but a lot of games run perfectly - no muss, no fuss. Some versions of Acrobat are reported to kind-of-sort-of work: WineHQ - Adobe Acrobat, but Civ IV has been working for years, literally. We've been playing it for years that way I had to jump through some hoops to get the original Civ IV to work way back when, but the newer versions worked with no extra work necessary at all. That may be because of the work I did way back when, or just the improvement of WINE over the years, I don't know, but even then the extra work I did back then wasn't daunting.

We've been very impressed with how all sorts of games run in WINE.
That sounds promising. If it doesn't, I'll be coming to find you to explain these hoops to me because I thoroughly intend on playing the hell out of that game the moment it's available.

Now, if only I could figure out what it up with this PDF issue my wife is having. I got the Windows version of Reader working last night on her Macbook, but still no luck. I guess I'm going to have to get it to open inside IE with the Adobe plug-in, since that's how the links work on the PC side. Very odd.

Forum Links
Forum Rules