Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Boot manager missing...

Boot manager missing...
Buck_W
Senior User
Sep 2, 2010, 08:45 AM

My wife works in an office using the most recent iMacs. One of her colleagues is unable to get her computer to boot up, she keeps receiving an error message that the boot manager is missing. They have inserted the Mac OS disc, forced the computer to shut down, and have attempted to re-start while holding down the C key. But it continues to say boot manager is missing.

Any suggestions?
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

bmcgonag
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2010, 07:14 PM

I've run across this tons of times on Windows, but never on a mac. Are they by any chance running windows on their macs?
Brian <- That's me
www.osxtechtips.com

Buck_W  (op)
Senior User
Sep 2, 2010, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by bmcgonag View Post
I've run across this tons of times on Windows, but never on a mac. Are they by any chance running windows on their macs?
I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. Yes, they used boot camp to install Windows and everything has worked fine for the past couple of months. They've had no problems booting back and forth in both operating systems, but today she encountered this particular problem.

Cold Warrior
Sep 2, 2010, 09:27 PM

What happens if you hold option at startup?

Buck_W  (op)
Senior User
Sep 2, 2010, 10:14 PM

I'm not sure. They were able to finally get it to boot off the OS CD and somehow get it booted back into Mac OS X. She is just not going to boot back into Windows until they can figure out what caused the original problem.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2010, 10:24 PM

It seems like it was installed without Boot Camp or something, as the Windows installer will overwrite the MBR (master boot record) with its own boot loader.

Forum Links
Forum Rules