Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Video doesnt work on macbook unless I remove the drivers??

Video doesnt work on macbook unless I remove the drivers??
kncusa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2011, 09:58 AM

I own a MB pro that I bought from a guy who told me it had a bad graphics module. I bought it to repair it with a new logic board, i didnt yet. But the issue is if I boot with osx intact (not modifying drivers) it stays at the initial boot screen (blue with no graphics).

If I remove the video drivers "ATIRadeonX 1000 through 2000 and send them to trash (this trick was a work around I found on the net.) The system boots (but lacking SOME video capabilities (like I cant play any games, etc). The cursor has a series of lines on it (I guess indicating a video issue). But the system works.

I tried reloading the OS X that came with the system (10.4) it locks / freezes doesnt install. I have OSX 10.6.4 on it that the original owner put on it.

the system is macpro2,2 intel core 2 duo 2.33. video ati radeon x1600

I am hoping it may be something easier than a bad video module. Any thoughts?

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2011, 05:31 PM

One thing you could try and do is blow out all dust. Removing the video card drives leaves the video card in a basic state. It will produce less heat. OS X itself uses the video card for visual displays and can get it cooking on its own. If its full of dust it could be over heating right away. That said, its very unlikely in this case because you would notice this effect after bootup not lock up at startup. My bet is a sour video chip.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

kncusa  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2011, 11:10 AM

Yeah My thoughts are a bad chip also. I did install a fan speed control program and boosted the fan speed but didnt make much of a difference. For grins I will blow some compressed air through it.

ChrisB
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2011, 06:31 PM

Agreed. You're more than likely looking at a logic board replacement.
Chris Brown
Media, Brand, and IPTV Consultant

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2011, 06:22 AM

Actually lines on the cursor are more indicative of bad VRAM. Thats what usually goes on these X1600s when they fail. Its the 8600M where the chip itself is always the culprit.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

kncusa  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2011, 09:56 AM

If it is Bad Vram that is also on the chip level right? That isnt a replaceable part?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2011, 10:15 AM

Not replaceable, no. Sorry.
Possibly more replaceable than the chip if you are particularly handy with a solder station.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ibook_steve
Jan 15, 2011, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Not replaceable, no. Sorry.
Possibly more replaceable than the chip if you are particularly handy with a solder station.
No, not at all replaceable. VRAM is integrated onto the GPU, not separate chips.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Forum Links
Forum Rules