Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > DT picture auto switch

DT picture auto switch
Evangellydonut
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2000, 02:49 AM

I wrote an apple-script that randomly picks a desktop picture and uses it through Apparence Manager. However, I've encountered some memory problems with it...it says i'm out of memory or something...even when I assign like 50 megs ot Apparence and the compiled apple-script...this generally happens if I put the program in the startup files folder...just now, I managed to launch it 25 times without any problems...weird...anyone have any suggestions or anything, please let me know.

Oh, the folder contains 500 pictures...I noticed that the problem will always occur when I have like 510 pictures inside the same folder, but should work fine with only 500...at least in theory...
G4/450, T-bird 1.05GHz, iBook 500, iBook 233...4 different machines, 4 different OSes...(9, 2k, X.1, YDL2.2 respectively) PiA to maintain...

grovberg
Jul 27, 2000, 10:54 AM

I just thought I'd mention that you don't have to write a script for that...if you drag a folder onto the picture window in the Appearance control panel, it'll pick a random image every time you start up. As to your problem I've had similar memory problems in the past and have never found a suitable solution other than rewriting the script in a different way...which sometimes isn't possible.

Scribble
Jul 27, 2000, 11:39 AM

Is there an app. or applescript script that can download an image off the internet and make it your background? Something that could update at a set time interval?

Thanks...

mr100percent
Forum Regular
Jul 27, 2000, 12:03 PM

Well I know there's a program called Decor that will cycle the wallpaper at any interval of your choosing, even as fast as every 5 seconds. I remember that was a big question at Macworld's conferences, like beginner mac users and macworld mac secrets

Jaharmi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2000, 12:06 PM

There is a script that downloads images from sites, like Webcams, to your desktop, yes.

It's a demonstration script at the AppleScript Web site:
http://www.apple.com/applescript/

You can set it to download any URL you want.

It's also a good starting point for scripting Appearance functions.

I have never been able to find a way to script the creation of a saved theme, though, which has always frustrated me. (I have made standard Mac setups for work that have themes with each of the old iMac colors, just for kicks.) Not being able to save a theme is a hassle.

------------------
Jeremy J. Reichman, aka "Jaharmi"
Jeremy J. Reichman, aka "Jaharmi"

Kaglan
Jul 27, 2000, 04:01 PM

Get Deskpix. It is more robust than any of the choices yet mentioned, and I believe it is freeware. Search at versiontracker.com or macdownloads.com or macdownload.com...

Scribble
Jul 27, 2000, 08:20 PM

Is any one a good Applescript scripter? Is there a way you can edit the script that downloads the images off the net, so it will be able to get into sites that need a login and password? I have a really cool weathersite (www.weathertap.com) which you need to subscribe to, hence use a login and password to get into.

Any ideas?

Scribble
Jul 27, 2000, 08:45 PM

Nevermind...
http://user assword@http://whatever.com works!

Thanks anyway...

Forum Links
Forum Rules