Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Damaged 3rd Gen iPod Touch, need advice

Damaged 3rd Gen iPod Touch, need advice
davidflas
Mac Elite
May 30, 2011, 03:15 PM

This thread is partly about finding a good repair place, and partly about what I should expect my friend to do. I was out of the room when it happened, but from what I can figure out, one of my friend's children spooked my cat to the point that it made a wild jump to get away....in the process causing one of my Audioengine A5 speakers to fall about 3 1/2 feet onto the floor, in the process pinning my iPod underneath it. The result of were several dents to the back case including a deep one just below and the right of the wifi plastic piece. Apart from the obvious external physical damage the iPod was not readable by iTunes and needed a complete restore which is now in progress. Also, the iPod gets really hot, very fast now.

I kept my iPod touch in it's case from minute one and until now it was flawless. Now it is in bad shape. Apart from Apple, were are some other places that can diagnose and repair it? My friend is trying to steer me towards ifixyouri.com, but they seem to focus mainly on screen replacements. I don't want this to be a friend damaging incident, but I do think the ought to pay to get my iPod put back to the way it ways.

Any thoughts...?
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

andi*pandi
May 31, 2011, 08:06 AM

Man, that sucks.

Don't lose your friendship over an ipod though. Cats and children are unpredictable.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2011, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by davidflas View Post
I don't want this to be a friend damaging incident, but I do think the ought to pay to get my iPod put back to the way it ways.

Any thoughts...?
Split the cost.

The damage sounds severe. I could imagine a new iPod being cheaper than a repair (read: it's totaled).

-t

-Q-
May 31, 2011, 10:19 AM

And while cats & children may be unpredictable, if it's ultimately the responsibility of the friend (their kid spooked the kitty), they should assume the responsibility of the repair/replacement.

davidflas  (op)
Mac Elite
May 31, 2011, 01:27 PM

Sorry about the poor grammar in my original post. As far as getting it diagnosed, is there a free or low cost way to do that? I am thinking it is totaled too, but I want to be sure.
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2011, 02:19 PM

I agree that you should probably split the cost of a replacement because it sounds quite damaged, and if you were to go before a judge you'd probably only get a 50% contributory negligence judgment anyway.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

andi*pandi
May 31, 2011, 10:26 PM

homeowners insurance?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2011, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
homeowners insurance?
Not sure if it's worth it for such a relatively small amount.

They might jack your premiums up in the aftermath, leaving you with a net higher cost.

-t

cgc
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2011, 07:53 PM

It'd be hard to really pin blame on the friend for what your cat did. Suck it up and enjoy the fact you have a great reason to buy a new iPod. Oh, and upgrade your cat to a dog.

davidflas  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2011, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
It'd be hard to really pin blame on the friend for what your cat did. Suck it up and enjoy the fact you have a great reason to buy a new iPod. Oh, and upgrade your cat to a dog.

Thank you for the pet upgrade advice However, in talking over the incident with my friend, it now seems more likely that his son was trying to climb up and get my iPod so that he could play with it. In doing so he pulled the speaker down, and when it hit the floor, it scared the cat. So, the cat was actually an innocent bystander, anyway, more careful in the future. I will now be upgrading to an iPad2.

andi*pandi
Jun 2, 2011, 10:32 AM

And they all lived happily ever after.

cgc, that is a lovely dog. We had a springer when I was growing up.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2011, 08:36 PM

If his son did the damage then I think you have a case...not so much with a cat. Your iPad2 is a nice upgrade so it looks like it worked out

Can I hire his son and your cat (for redundancy) to destroy my iPod Touch?

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 2, 2011, 08:59 PM

From a 3G iPod T to an iPad!! Way cool. You'll be so happy with the latter that you may feel compelled to by that kid a present

Forum Links
Forum Rules